none
Problems with Kinect infrared sensor RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I just currently download the kinect sdk beta 2 and I'm having some issues with the kinect in general I guess. I'm working on a project for a professor, its an education play off of kinect pong, it was working great but now it randomly stops seeing the player. The infrared sensor turns off and nothing responds.

Any suggestions on why that might be? Anyone else getting this problem?

Thanks in advance!

-Makaila

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:41 PM

All replies

• Do you have the Kinect plugged into its own USB hub with nothing else connected with it?  Also, are you using the external power supply in addition to the USB cable?
    • Proposed as answer by Emile Victor Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:04 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 10:02 PM
  • Yes to both of those questions.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 10:09 PM
  • I haven't seen such a problem - the only time that the IR emitter turns off is when the device isn't initialized.  Could it be something in your application that is stopping the Kinect?

Maybe one other thing to try out is to simply use another Kinect if you have one available.  That could help rule out that there was some hardware failure in the unit you are currently using.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 10:20 PM
  • I've used 3 different kinects but keep getting the same problem.

I do uninitialize the runtime when switching between games but it doesn't break when I start a new game. It usually stops seeing the player if they hold a position for a few seconds which is a big part of this game.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 10:49 PM
  • Does it do that with the built in SkeletalViewer example, or shapegame?
    Clever, witty forum signature.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:05 PM
  • Does it do that with the built in SkeletalViewer example, or shapegame?

That is a good suggestion - check and see if there is the same behavior with other software implementations...
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:15 PM
  • I've only used the built in SkeletalViewer. I'll give shapegame a shot!
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:29 PM
  • Please get back to us, if it breaks when you use those two examples, try removing all other USB devices from your computer except for keyboard and mouse and the kinect. Also, reinstall the SDK if that fails.

If all else fails, in Roy's words: "have you tried turning it off and on again?"

And finally, if it's definitely broken, perhaps it's the hardware that is at fault.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 1:45 AM
  • We just published v1.0. If you wouldn't mind upgrading to this version, that would be great. There are many improvements in this version.
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 4:12 PM