none
[MS-RDPADRV] clarifications RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

Do I understand correctly that in order to use this extension to preserve volume  between RDP sessions

I have to implement my own server side application to control the volume i.e. detecting volume change, sending this info to the client, receiving

volume info from the client and seting volume to the received values?

Putting this into other words:

Does this protocol specify only convenient message formats (and predefined (recommended)) channel name and nothing more?

Or there exist some versions of Windows that support this extension e.g. allowing to control volume of the sound which is played upon startup of the session?

Thank you.

Best regards.

Alex.

Thursday, February 1, 2018 1:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Alexz2600:

Any RDP server and client implementer can use MS-RDPADRV to persistent volume levels between sessions. In Windows RDP server, this protocol is only implemented in Windows Multipoint Server which is a Windows Remote Desktop Session Host (RDSH) with some additional services on top of it. 

Your initial assumption was correct that you'll have to implement additional logic on your own server (if you have one) in addition to implementing this feature on your client. Alternatively you can use Windows Multipoint Server as RDP server and implement this protocol on your client.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi

• Marked as answer by alexz2600 Tuesday, February 6, 2018 8:59 AM
    Monday, February 5, 2018 8:17 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Alex2600:

MS-RDPADVR is specific to Microsoft Multipoint Server and is not used in other RDP scenarios.

Please let me know if this does not answer your question. 

Regards, Obaid Farooqi

• Marked as answer by alexz2600 Saturday, February 3, 2018 1:58 PM
    Friday, February 2, 2018 10:19 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi Alex,

Thanks for raising your question regarding the MS-RDPADRV specification. We have created an support issue to track your question, and a member of the Open Specifications Support team will be in contact to work with you on your question.

Sincerely,

Will Gregg | Open Specifications

Thursday, February 1, 2018 2:44 PM
  • Hi Alex:

I'll help you with this issue and will be in touch as soon as I have an answer.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi

Thursday, February 1, 2018 5:18 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Alexz2600:

Can please elaborate what are you trying to accomplish? Are you Remote Desktop Client or Server implementer?

For the support of this feature, please consult section "6 Appendix A: Product Behavior" of MS-RDPADRV where all the versions of Windows that support this specification are listed.

If you want, you can also communicate with me via email by sending an email to dochelp at Microsoft dot com and referencing this thread.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi

Friday, February 2, 2018 8:16 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Alex2600:

MS-RDPADVR is specific to Microsoft Multipoint Server and is not used in other RDP scenarios.

Please let me know if this does not answer your question. 

Regards, Obaid Farooqi

• Marked as answer by alexz2600 Saturday, February 3, 2018 1:58 PM
    Friday, February 2, 2018 10:19 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Obaid,

thank you very much for your reply.

I'm RDP client implementer.

I just wanted to check whether I could employ this extension to preserve volume level between sessions.

It seems that I can't use this protocol to achieve the desired behaviour.

Saturday, February 3, 2018 1:58 PM
  • Hi Alexz2600:

Any RDP server and client implementer can use MS-RDPADRV to persistent volume levels between sessions. In Windows RDP server, this protocol is only implemented in Windows Multipoint Server which is a Windows Remote Desktop Session Host (RDSH) with some additional services on top of it. 

Your initial assumption was correct that you'll have to implement additional logic on your own server (if you have one) in addition to implementing this feature on your client. Alternatively you can use Windows Multipoint Server as RDP server and implement this protocol on your client.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi

• Marked as answer by alexz2600 Tuesday, February 6, 2018 8:59 AM
    Monday, February 5, 2018 8:17 PM
    Owner