none
Kinect SDK Beta 2 Interop problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I've just installed the 2nd refresh of SDK for Kinect. I've found out that having Kinect plugged in causes my USB tuner to misbehave. Everything worked fine with Beta 1 of Kinect SDK. The problem details follow.

I use ASUS G73Jh notebook with Windows 7 64 bit OS.

I've got AverMedia AverTV Hybrid Volar HD TV tuner connected to my machine, alongside with the Kinect. Having them connected at the same time causes the following:

- I can't watch TV using my Windows Media Center or any other application. WMC outputs "Low Bitrate" diagnostic message. The Kinect works fine.

- If I unplug Kinect, start viewing TV on WMC, and - with TV still playing - plug it back in, then the Kinect is unusable. The skeletal viewwer sample app enumerates the device, but states that it's unpowered.

I've tried connecting the devices to different USB ports and the problem prevails. It's present even if tuner and Kinect are the only devices connected to the machine.

I'd be grateful for any advice on the matter. I couldn't find any bug tracking service for Kinect SDK, so the forum is the place I've decided to use for mentioning the problem.

Cheers, Łukasz

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:20 PM

All replies

• the Kinect uses 61% of the USB bandwidth for a host controller. You'll have to make sure they are on separate host controllers (not just ports).
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:14 PM
  • Thank you for your input. Device manager shows that indeed 61% have been used. Those 61% are being taken even if no application is using the sensor. I don't know how USB host controllers work, however I wonder, if the resources should be reserved even if Kinect is unused? 

My curiosity stems from the fact that everything seemed to work on Beta 1. If I recall correctly, it was possible to have both Kinect and TV tuner connected on the same time and I could use one of the device without unplugging the other. I've never tried using Kinect and watching TV at the same time.

Thanks again.

Łukasz

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 11:02 PM
  • we are looking into solutions for the bandwidth "reserve" when not in use, but it will still be that way for the 1.0 release.
    • Proposed as answer by The Thinker Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:06 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:59 AM
  • Thanks, now I get the full picture. Great that you'll look into the matter. I understand the requrements of SDK lifecycle and that it'll be with the 1.0 as it's now.

Łukasz

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 10:34 AM