none
Drill through reports - Dynamic Dataset/Columns RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not sure where to start with this so any pointers would be welcome.

I have a top level report (TopLevel.rdl) that shows a number of counts from different tables\views. When I click on the count I want a new report (DrillThrough.rdl) to load up to show the rows and columns that relate to that count.

How do I make the DrillThrough dynamic, so when I click a count I pass the SQL statement to display that table and then DrillThrough.rdl uses that SQL Statement to build the dataset and columns dynamically.

I want to avoid having to build a report for every drill through as this would be 100's of reports.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 12:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Squid11,

In Reporting Services, data that we use in reports is contained in a dataset. The dataset includes a pointer to a data source and a query to be used by the report. We need to use predefine dataset fields so that the report can retrieve data from database.

I’m afraid that Reporting Services does not support this feature to achieve your requirement. You should design the subreports, and then use the drill-through function go to corresponding subreports.

Regards,
    Bin Long

TechNet Subscriber Supportin forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Squid11 Thursday, September 1, 2011 8:17 AM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:01 AM

All replies

• Hi

As a starting to develop drillthrough reports please refer to the following documentation from the MSDN

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff519554.aspx

Thanks

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 10:05 PM
  • Hi Squid11,

In Reporting Services, data that we use in reports is contained in a dataset. The dataset includes a pointer to a data source and a query to be used by the report. We need to use predefine dataset fields so that the report can retrieve data from database.

I’m afraid that Reporting Services does not support this feature to achieve your requirement. You should design the subreports, and then use the drill-through function go to corresponding subreports.

Regards,
    Bin Long

TechNet Subscriber Supportin forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Squid11 Thursday, September 1, 2011 8:17 AM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:01 AM