Website Panel won't allow me to create hosting space RRS feed

• Question

• I have an issue which stops me creating any websites for customers. I can make accounts fine but if I try to create the hosting space it will fail.

I have setup my server all as the documentation instructs and I have got all the services added the server configuration area the hosting package allows the users to have space and all appears fine.

The error i get when attempting to create the space is:

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.Exception: Error executing 'ADD' task on 'Low' HOSTING_SPACE_WR ---> System.Exception: Could not create FTP account ---> System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.Exception: Could not create system user ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800708AC): The group name could not be found.

at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntries.Find(String name, String schemaClassName) 
    at WebsitePanel.Providers.Utils.SecurityUtils.CreateUser(SystemUser user, RemoteServerSettings serverSettings, String usersOU, String groupsOU) 
    --- End of inner exception stack trace --- 
    at WebsitePanel.Providers.Utils.SecurityUtils.CreateUser(SystemUser user, RemoteServerSettings serverSettings, String usersOU, String groupsOU) 
    at WebsitePanel.Providers.FTP.MsFTP.CreateAccount(FtpAccount account) 
    at WebsitePanel.Server.FTPServer.CreateAccount(FtpAccount account) 
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall) 
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters) 
    at WebsitePanel.Providers.FTP.FTPServer.CreateAccount(FtpAccount account) 
    at WebsitePanel.EnterpriseServer.FtpServerController.AddFtpAccount(FtpAccount item) 
    at WebsitePanel.EnterpriseServer.PackageController.AddPackageWithResources(Int32 userId, Int32 planId, String spaceName, Int32 statusId, Boolean sendLetter, Boolean createResources, String domainName, Boolean createInstantAlias, Boolean createWebSite, Boolean createFtpAccount, String ftpAccountName, Boolean createMailAccount) 
    at WebsitePanel.EnterpriseServer.PackageController.AddPackageWithResources(Int32 userId, Int32 planId, String spaceName, Int32 statusId, Boolean sendLetter, Boolean createResources, String domainName, Boolean createInstantAlias, Boolean createWebSite, Boolean createFtpAccount, String ftpAccountName, Boolean createMailAccount) 
    at WebsitePanel.EnterpriseServer.esPackages.AddPackageWithResources(Int32 userId, Int32 planId, String spaceName, Int32 statusId, Boolean sendLetter, Boolean createResources, String domainName, Boolean tempDomain, Boolean createWebSite, Boolean createFtpAccount, String ftpAccountName, Boolean createMailAccount) 
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall) 
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters) 
    at WebsitePanel.EnterpriseServer.esPackages.AddPackageWithResources(Int32 userId, Int32 planId, String spaceName, Int32 statusId, Boolean sendLetter, Boolean createResources, String domainName, Boolean tempDomain, Boolean createWebSite, Boolean createFtpAccount, String ftpAccountName, Boolean createMailAccount) 
    at WebsitePanel.Portal.UserCreateSpace.CreateHostingSpace()

My server is running the following:

Windows Server 2008 Web R2
    MSFTP
    Mail Enable

Please help me out here.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 5:25 PM

Answers

• My problem is resolved. 

1) I have deleted Default FTP site from IIS and recreated as per the microsoft documentation and assign Basic authentication. 

2) Followed as below.

Login to WSP with serveradmin credential

Go to Configuration --> Server --> FTP 

Unchecked Build UNC Path to Space Files

FTP is working.

Nital Patel
    Monday, March 14, 2011 5:34 PM

All replies

• I have just noticed the "Create Web Site" box now works it is just the FTP part that doesn't work any ideas?
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 5:30 PM
  • I have the same issue, only its when creating ftp acounts i get the error message below

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.IO.IOException: The network path was not found.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
    at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path, DirectorySecurity dirSecurity)
    at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path, DirectorySecurity directorySecurity)
    at WebsitePanel.Providers.Utils.FileUtils.CreateDirectory(String path)
    at WebsitePanel.Providers.FTP.MsFTP.EnsureUserHomeFolderExists(String folder, String accountName, Boolean allowRead, Boolean allowWrite)
    at WebsitePanel.EnterpriseServer.FtpServerController.AddFtpAccount(FtpAccount item)
    at WebsitePanel.EnterpriseServer.esFtpServers.AddFtpAccount(FtpAccount item)
    at WebsitePanel.Portal.FtpAccountEditAccount.SaveItem()

i followed the documentation and i am using the Microsoft FTP Service 7.5

Monday, November 29, 2010 2:06 AM
  • JasonBrook,

Looks like the WSP FTP service group was not created.
    You can manually create it on the server (the group name is specified in WSP under configuration > servers > click the ftp service).

Hope that helps.

hypervhost
    Monday, November 29, 2010 5:06 PM
  • I have the same issue. Please let me know if you get the solution.

I have check WSP FTP service group is available. I have also applied a patch mentioned at http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3195743&group_id=316247&atid=1330292

Still my Error Message is  

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.IO.IOException: The network path was not found. 

at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path, DirectorySecurity dirSecurity) 
    at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path, DirectorySecurity directorySecurity) 
    at WebsitePanel.Providers.FTP.MsFTP.EnsureUserHomeFolderExists(String folder, String accountName, Boolean allowRead, Boolean allowWrite) 

Please help to resolve this issue.

Nital Patel 

Saturday, March 12, 2011 9:44 PM
  • I have the same issue. Please let me know if you get the solution.

I have check WSP FTP service group is available. I have also applied a patch mentioned at http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3195743&group_id=316247&atid=1330292

Still my Error Message is  

Please help to resolve this issue.

Nital Patel 

Hi Nital & Computeronix,
    Can you check if your WSP Servers can access to WSP Enterprise server ->FTP services? From the error log, it seems it not able to connect to your FTP Server.
    Remember to mark the post as "ANSWER" if it helped. Blog : http://blog.scnetstudio.com/
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 3:47 AM
    Answerer
  • My problem is resolved. 

1) I have deleted Default FTP site from IIS and recreated as per the microsoft documentation and assign Basic authentication. 

2) Followed as below.

Login to WSP with serveradmin credential

Go to Configuration --> Server --> FTP 

Unchecked Build UNC Path to Space Files

FTP is working.

Nital Patel
    Monday, March 14, 2011 5:34 PM
  • We are having the same issue. We run multiple FTP front end servers. We can create an FTP site So long as the "Build UNC Path to Space Files" is NOT checked. The problem is the user's virtual directory points to a folder that is LOCAL to the FTP server and not located on the Share that points to the Hosting Space folder on the Web Server. We have applied the patch listed in https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3195743&group_id=316247&atid=1330292 on the FTP server, the Control Panel Server, the Web Server and the server hosting the Enterprise Service. It makes no difference.

When we attempt to create an FTP account, the user is created in the AD and placed in the proper group. The following error is then thrown in the browser:

Stack Trace:

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> The network path was not found. 

The Audit Log for the system shows a bit more info:

Folder: \
    00:00:00
    CanRead: True
    CanWrite: True
    Server was unable to process request. ---> The network path was not found. 

This seems to indicate that the Folder value is not getting converted correctly to a UNC path. The proper UNC path is configured in the System Service for the FTP Server and the settings save correctly. The Web server uses the "Local" path (D:\HostingSpaces) as opposed to the UNC path since the Web sites are installed locally.

If we create an FTP user (by UNCHECKING "Build UNC Path to Space Files"), we can manually change the virtual directory Physical Path the the proper UNC path. Once the changes are saved, the user can log in and is directed to the appropriate folder on the Web server.

So there must be a bug in the FTP User Creation process. We are running all Windows 2008 R2 SP1 with all latest updates. Getting this resolved is the last major hurdle for us completing the testing of our new cloud hosting infrastructure. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Thanks!

Jim

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 7:59 PM
  • OK So here is the solution!

First, the Web server System Service needs to have the SAME UNC share name configured instead of the local path! Be sure to give the share the correct permissions! Since the FTP service is not on the same server as the Web, you will need run your Application Pools under a domain account that has access to all the appropriate folders. In our case, the WPServer account is a DOMAIN account and is used to run the WebSite Panel Server pool and the FTP Server Pool. That user must have read / write permissions for the UNC share on the Web server.

Next, the FTP Service Setting should have the "Build UNC Path to Space Files" UNCHECKED. Since you are using the UNC path on the System Service for the hosting space, The FTP virtual directory will point to that instead of the local path! 

The last step is that this will only work with Hosting Spaces that are provisioned AFTER the Web System Service path is changed to the UNC share! You can probably venture into the Enterprise database and edit the appropriate fields in the "ServiceItems" table for any existing Hosting Spaces that you don't wish to recreate. You will need to change the records containing local paths to the correct UNC Share Path. I verified that this worked on a Hosting Space that had been created BEFORE I made the System Service Path change. After updating the appropriate record in the "ServiceItems" table. I was able to create a working FTP account!

So, the take home message - Make your System Service paths UNC shares, even if local! FTP issues seems resolved. If I come across anything else, I will report back.

Jim

• Proposed as answer by Jim Nitterauer Thursday, March 24, 2011 3:56 PM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 8:48 PM
  • Hi Jim,

Sorry to dredge up this old thread but I was hoping you could clarify your solution a bit.  Are you suggesting that ALL of the System Service paths share a single UNC share? 

You mentioned that  you are running multiple front end FTP servers, so I assume they all share a single UNC path to the backend storage; are you doing the same for your IIS servers?

This doesnt exactly make the sites in IIS 'portable' but I can see the advantages of consolidating the storage. 

I find this thread intersting, because I was pondering the logic of WSP to spread customer data out among a half dozen different server's local drives.  Your comment made me realize maybe the 'right' way to do this is to consolidate all of the storage onto a highly avaialable SAN/NAS(clustered 2008 R2 Servers maybe?).

On a side note, is there even a reason to have the "OS"/System Service directory on certain servers like DNS, or SQL?

I'm very much interested in WSP "Best Practices"...sadly it seems like we all have to "fumble" through everything until we find the best way to do things.  The documentation really only gives proper justice to a single server implementation.

Thanks for any/all information you can provide.  It's much appreciated.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 8:00 AM