none
Tools for testing SMB/SMB2 compatibility? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there.

I am recently working on a project that modifies the received SMB/SMB2 packets and transfer them out to the network. Now I am looking for some tools that can check with the opcodes with SMB/SMB2 commands, so that I can try to figure out if the SMB/SMB2 commands are bypassing or not. I found that a tools named "smbtorture" from Samba Team can help me testing them in Linux environments, but how about Windows platform? Do we have a specific tool that helps us to verify the command opcode operations in an automatic way? 

Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor English. :D

Monday, August 16, 2010 10:25 AM

Answers

• Rocky,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding tools for testing SMB/SMB2 compatibility.

The Applied Interoperability event site is a vehicle that would allow exercising this type of testing. Microsoft regularly participates in various interoperability events, such as Plugfests and Interoperability labs. At those events, we bring resources for testing, including the use of Protocol Test Suites that help to evaluate whether an implementation’s protocol communications conform to the Microsoft protocol specification. In your case, it would be SMB and SMB2 protocols.  

In case you might be interested, SNIA is the next engagement in the Schedule of up-coming events.

Regards,

Edgar

Monday, August 16, 2010 9:31 PM