none
Can every storage account be deleted? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have a question that might seem dumb and I apologize if it is...

The only storage account I have is rising my bill beyond my budget... so I was wondering if every storage account can be deleted without affecting the the virtual machine I have, I don't know if this would be safe or if i would end killing the OS and information.

So... could I delete it or is it necessary for the virtual machine?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, October 31, 2016 4:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here! We are happy to assist you.

It's not possible to restore a deleted storage account or retrieve any of the content that it contained before deletion. Be sure to back up anything you want to save before you delete the account. This also holds true for any resources in the account—once you delete a blob, table, queue, or file, it is permanently deleted.

To delete a storage account that is associated with an Azure virtual machine, you must first ensure that any virtual machine disks have been deleted. If you do not first delete your virtual machine disks, then when you attempt to delete your storage account

You can delete the virtual machine, the operating system disk, and the source .vhd file all at once by deleting the virtual machine and deleting all associated disks. However, deleting a .vhd file that’s a source for a data disk requires several steps in a set order. First you detach the disk from the virtual machine, then delete the disk, and then delete the .vhd file.

Warning: If you delete a source .vhd file from storage, or delete your storage account, Microsoft can't recover that data for you.

The VM’s OS and data disks remain intact in Azure storage and can be used to restart the VM later. However, the temporary (scratch) disk associated with the VM is released and any data on that disk could be lost.

Regards,
    Sumanth BM

==================================================================

Kindly click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. And Vote as Helpful.

Monday, October 31, 2016 8:07 PM