Permission required to see a datasource? RRS feed

• Question

• User1826967303 posted

Greetings,

I am wondering if anyone can confirm what permission needs to be set on a shared data source so that a user can see it?  

Another user created a shared datasource on a SSRS 2008 server. He can browse to it in SSRS and see it, as well as browse to it from ReportBuilder and see it.  When I try to do these things the "Data Sources folder appears empty to me.  I read over the reference but I was unclear... is there a permission I need to be able to see/use a data source (vs. maintaining/editing it?).  I don't want to change any settings for the datasource, just be able to have my reports utilize it as a shared datasource.

Thx.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 11:24 AM

Answers

• User1826967303 posted

Solved!

I went and met with the DBA and had him show me the roles and tasks assigned to each.  It turns out that the role on DEV/TEST/TRAIN had the view source permission assigned, but it was not applied on production.  So although my role seemed correct, the tasks assigned to it were changed between my various environments.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms157225(v=sql.100).aspx 

Hope this helps others.

Thx,

R.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2015 11:41 AM

All replies

• User1826967303 posted

Solved!

I went and met with the DBA and had him show me the roles and tasks assigned to each.  It turns out that the role on DEV/TEST/TRAIN had the view source permission assigned, but it was not applied on production.  So although my role seemed correct, the tasks assigned to it were changed between my various environments.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms157225(v=sql.100).aspx 

Hope this helps others.

Thx,

R.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2015 11:41 AM
  • User1711366110 posted

Hi,
      As per your case, check the following links :

1. Click here to know more about how to Create, Modify, and Delete Shared Data Sources.

2. Click here to know more about How to: Store Credentials for a Data Source.

3. Click here to know more about how to Secure Shared Data Source Items.

--
    with regards,
    Edwin

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 8:13 AM