the Memories app is a very bad example

General discussion

• This app total cannot work with keyboard and mouse. No keyboard navigation, no scrolling wheel. When I add the memories to more than six. The new one cannot display at all. Fortunately this app appears in the WDP version. So maybe the mistakes in the apps can be avoid in the future. If the apps in the future version still the same. It will be a great beating to Windows 8.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 2:06 PM

All replies

• The sample apps are previews of what can be done and are not the quality of what will be in the final release.
    Microsoft MVP - Bing Maps
    Blog: http://pietschsoft.com | Web.Maps.VE - ASP.NET AJAX Bing Maps Server Control
    Friday, September 23, 2011 6:28 PM
  • This app shows what cannot be done by a mouse. almost anything.
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 12:44 AM
  • This is a known issue.

Monday, September 26, 2011 9:10 PM
  • While it may be a little hard to discover, the app is mouse friendly. On the initial landing page, the albums are scrollable via a scrollbar at the bottom of the screen. When you click on a particular album, you also have a scrollbar at the bottom you can use to scroll through the images. The buttons should all be clickable by mouse and touch as well. There is currently no scrolling wheels support as that tends to be vertical scrolling where the app uses horizontal scrolling mostly.

I actually demoed it using a mouse/keyboard during a session at BUILD, but please do try it out for yourself and I would love to hear your feedback on areas of improvement.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:12 PM
  • I found it quite cumbersome to use. As with a lot of the preview apps, one thing is certainly clear.. there seems to be no kind of UI standard, some apps have home icons, some have back icons, others.. like the memories app, you need to click on the title to go back to the beginning.. issues of this nature need to be addressed otherwise joe bloggs users will get very confused and drop Win8 faster than you can say bad move!
    Saturday, October 01, 2011 6:33 PM
  • I found it quite cumbersome to use. As with a lot of the preview apps, one thing is certainly clear.. there seems to be no kind of UI standard, some apps have home icons, some have back icons, others.. like the memories app, you need to click on the title to go back to the beginning.. issues of this nature need to be addressed otherwise joe bloggs users will get very confused and drop Win8 faster than you can say bad move!

I accept these are 'preview' apps but Pixel Popper is spot on with the lack of standardisation issue, it's not just users who could be confused its developers too - which 'standard' do we adhere to? there are so many. In the worst case this could end up like the early days of the web with a zillion UI conventions used/misused on a whim by the developers (each of whom thought their way was 'best').
    Acer W500 tablet & dock, New 'works' Lenovo laptop Too much apple stuff. Remember: A Developer Preview is just that, a preview for developers - not everything will work 'just right' on day 1.
    Sunday, October 09, 2011 1:01 PM