none
Storing API call results and the Bing Maps Terms of Use RRS feed

• Question

• Our digital signage application uses the Bing Maps control for Windows 8. We then use the <strike>Locations</strike> Search API to return a list of local dining options and overlay them onto the map. These results are displayed over and over again, every minute or two, for hours at a time.

Ideally, we'd like to re-use the results of our <strike>Locations</strike> Search API call, rather than making fresh API calls every minute. However, the Bing Maps Terms of Use include this instruction: "[You may not] copy, store, archive, or create a database of the Content." If we're not writing the API call's results to disk, but just storing them in memory, will we still be working within the Bing Maps terms of use?

• Edited by Matt Hauger Thursday, March 20, 2014 5:01 PM Clarification.
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• The Bing Maps terms of use also state "except that geocodes may be stored locally only for use with your Company Applications.". Since the data returned from the Location API are geocodes you can store them for later use in your application. In fact we recommend it as it increases performance of your application and also reduces the load on our servers. Just remember that these geocodes can only be used with Bing Maps and not exported for use in competitor maps.

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Thursday, March 20, 2014 4:08 PM
  • Thanks, Ricky. I may have mistyped, as the particular API call may actually fall under 'Search' (not Locations), now that I look at it. In any case, the results include more than just geocodes. We also use data like the restaurants' names, addresses, phone numbers, and user ratings, etc. Does your answer apply to these data types, as well? Thanks again!
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 4:17 PM
  • I would say no for POI data.

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by Matt Hauger Thursday, March 20, 2014 4:59 PM
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 4:38 PM