Sometimes Automatically Get Latest Version, Sometimes Not RRS feed

• Question

• I use violoncello.visualstudio.com to store source code and to synchronize it between 2 computers that I use.

When I open a Solution, on one computer, I get this; and the other, I don't.

How do I change this behavior?

VP

• Moved by Tina-Shi Thursday, October 16, 2014 9:07 AM the issue is related to the vso issue
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 2:02 AM

Answers

• So when I get this: I think I know what A does...

B: Checked: Overwrite files that are not checked out? What happens to files already checked out?

B: Unchecked: Do nothing? Or overwrite everything that needs to be updated? Or something else?

C: Checked: What exactly does it do, and why is it not checked by default?

C: Unchecked: No overwriting? Or overwriting files that need to be updated?

And I feel it behaves differently than the option to : Right-click in Solution Explorer ==> Get Latest... What exactly is different and why is it different?

Since it behaves differently, I find myscelf clicking [Cancel] on that Get popup, then going to Solution Explorer and manually using "Get Latest..."

VP

Monday, October 27, 2014 12:29 PM

All replies

• Hi VP,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

Since the issue is related to the Visual Studio Online, we will move this case to the VSO forum, you will get dedicated support for the issue.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 16, 2014 9:06 AM
  • Hi Violoncello,

Based on the description, you're working with Visual Studio Online(Formerly Team Foundation Service/TFS online)When you see this screenshot, you might do a get latest operation by right clicking the team project name or folder name in source control explorer. Or you work with the team project on this machine for the first time, and you need to map the source files to a local path of your workspace. You can refer to the links below for more information about workspace and TFS source control:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181383.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181370.aspx

If you still have any other concerns, please elaborate more details about your scenario.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, October 16, 2014 10:11 AM
  • Even though the source code is stored online and can be built online, I mostly work on it locally using Visual Studio 2013. When I open a project from the Start page, on one computer I get the screenshot that I posted; and on the other computer, I don't get it automatically.

How do I set both computers to always (or never) automatically get that?

Both computers connect to TFS just fine, and they update with latest just fine.

VP

Thursday, October 16, 2014 1:57 PM
  • :(

Did my question stump you guys? It's so quiet.

Steps to reproduce my issue... unless I'm too unique :(

1. Launch Visual Studio 2013 (Does it make a difference if it's the Express Edition?) from the Desktop.

2. Open project/solution. (I picked the solution called "VP".) This solution is mapped to violoncello.visualstudio.com.

3. (Maybe) the Get dialog window pops up to click on [Get] or [Cancel]. I get this on computer A, but not on computer B. Yet, both are connected to violoncello.visualstudio.com. Both can download and upload source code updates.

I'm not sure how to elaborate that.. these are simple steps.

VP

Sunday, October 19, 2014 2:25 AM
  • Hi Violoncello,

I'd like to know what's mean when you say "Both can download and upload source code updates". And where you open the project/solution, do you ever map your source code to a local path on the computer? If it's your first time to work with the team project on the computer, you can get the source files to a local path and work with it.

You can also refer to this page to do the workspace mapping after connecting to the team project which contain the project/solution. If you still have any concerns, you can elaborate more details about your scenario with screenshots. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Monday, October 20, 2014 8:42 AM
  • "Both can download/upload..." Computer A can call "Get Latest Version" and update all the source code that has changed and synchronize it locally. I make changes and then I "Check In..." describing the changes I made and submit it. Computer B can do the same.

Both computers appear to be mapped. I claim so because, with frequent changes to source code, both computers keep up well with the changes. (Otherwise, what do you mean? And what is the true function of mapping?)

VP

Monday, October 20, 2014 2:00 PM
  • Hi Violoncello,

I understand what you mean, what I want is to confirm with you if it's the first time to work on the computer when get the window, and if the local source files is the latest version. The window is a get specific version(right click team project name--Advanced--Get specific version) window, you can get specific version of your source files. You can also click cancel to give up the getting operation.

Please make sure you understand how it works, and give out your operation steps to reproduce your problem(Screenshots would be better).

Best regards,

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 2:33 AM
  • First time? I've been using it since maybe August 2014. The local files are latest version.

> Please make sure you understand how it works, and give out your operation steps to reproduce your problem(Screenshots would be better).

:( I tried saying that. I posted a screen shot and steps 1, 2, 3. It's really up to 3 clicks of the mouse to reproduce it.

1. Launch Visual Studio 2013 (Does it make a difference if it's the Express Edition?) from the Desktop.

2. Open project/solution. (I picked the solution called "VP".) This solution is mapped to violoncello.visualstudio.com.

3. (Maybe) the Get dialog window pops up to click on [Get] or [Cancel]. I get this on computer A, but not on computer B. Yet, both are connected to violoncello.visualstudio.com. Both can download and upload source code updates.

Get

VP

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 3:22 AM
  • Let me see if I can clarify.

Create and work with workspaces http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181383.aspx

Use Source Control Explorer to manage files under version control http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181370.aspx

I'm aware of these 2 articles and have gone through them setting up my systems. Neither of them describe the snapshot I posted, so far that I can detect.

VP

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 3:41 PM
  • Hi Violoncello,

For this situation, you can check the following items for your two computers:

1. Maybe coumpuer A has the latest files, but computer B don't has the latest source files hence you get the pop up window.

2. Also make sure you use the same credential on the two computers or the accounts have the need permission to execute the operation. Or you can clean team foundation cache on the machine to see if it works for you

3. Check the workspace that you're using on the machine to see if it's a local workspace or a server workspace. You can create a new local workspace, and work with it after a workspace mapping to see if you can still get the window

4. You can have a try on other clean machines if possible.

When come to see the pop up window, I'd like to know if there any issues if you click get to get the latest source files to local. I have tried to reproduce the scenario but don't see the pop up window(VS2013 Ultimate Update 3). If the local files is not the latest, I can get the window by "right click team project name--Advanced--Get specific version".  If you still have concerns, please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 4:09 PM
  • > 1. Maybe coumpuer A has the latest files, but computer B don't has the latest source files hence you get the pop up window.

I don't have confidence (yet) in the Get popup window, but I always go to the Solution Explorer and right-click "Get Latest Version" and A and B end up with the latest version.

> 2. Also make sure you use the same credential on the two computers or the accounts have the need permission to execute the operation. Or you can clean team foundation cache on the machine to see if it works for you

They both login to the same SkyDrive/OneDrive account. Otherwise how to clean the team foundation cache?

> 3. Check the workspace that you're using on the machine to see if it's a local workspace or a server workspace. You can create a new local workspace, and work with it after a workspace mapping to see if you can still get the window

Does this mean I can edit files directly in violoncello.visualstudio.com ? Currently it appears I edit files locally, compile locally, debug locally, and when I'm all done, I right-click and "Check In...". Both A and B do this without any issues. Or, what can I check to be sure?

> 4. You can have a try on other clean machines if possible.

Not possible. I have only 2 computers. I lost 2 older computers to solar damage.

> When come to see the pop up window, I'd like to know if there any issues if you click get to get the latest source files to local...

No issues, except for the popup that appears on A. Way back in August, I spent maybe 2 weeks creating/destroying/recreating projects and solutions just figuring out how to make them work. I explored all possible options that I could find in VS 2013. Finally I created projects on one of the computers, submitted them to violoncello.visualstudio.com, and downloaded them on another computer, and it appeared to work well. Then I noticed computer B doesn't have a popup. I have this idea at one time I un-checked something to stop the popup, but I since can't find it.

VP

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 4:46 PM
  • Hi Violoncello,

The points I mentioned above is in purpose of getting things more clear. And you can change a workspace in the computer to see if it related to current workspace. Check this page for more info about workspace type: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb892960.aspx

You can also check if you have checked the option of “Enable get latest on check-out” for your team project (Team—Team Project settings—Source control settings). If there is no other problems to get latest in this computer, you can switch to another workspace and uncheck the option of “Enable get latest on check-out”. For cleaning team foundation cache on a client machine(delete the content of the folder only, not the cache folder itself), the folder path is: C:\Users\username(Team Explorer user name)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Team Foundation\5.0\Cache. (os: Windows Server 2008 R2)

Best regards,

Thursday, October 23, 2014 8:23 AM
  • OK, now I know the benefits and limitations of working locally/offline.. so how do I check my state and how do I switch? Team--Team Project Settings--Source Control Settings? Sounds familiar, but I'll check it again.

OS? They are Windows 8.1.

I don't have 100,000 items so I think working locally will be fine. It feels like I work offline because sometimes I add and delete items. (No problems trying to add/delete.) Both A and B appear to operate the same.

VP

Thursday, October 23, 2014 12:48 PM
  • Hi Violoncello,

For the concern, you can check if it is related to the opition of "Enable get latest on check-out". If the opition is not checked, you can create a new local workspace to see if the pop window related to your workspace.

Best regards,

Monday, October 27, 2014 7:22 AM
  • Option "Enable get latest on check-out": Can't I just check/uncheck it? I hesitate to create a new workspace because one time I created a "HelloWorld" workspace and it took me more than 1 month applying all  *destructive* techniques that I could think of to get rid of it. It was a horrible experience. :(

VP

Monday, October 27, 2014 12:16 PM
  • So when I get this: I think I know what A does...

B: Checked: Overwrite files that are not checked out? What happens to files already checked out?

B: Unchecked: Do nothing? Or overwrite everything that needs to be updated? Or something else?

C: Checked: What exactly does it do, and why is it not checked by default?

C: Unchecked: No overwriting? Or overwriting files that need to be updated?

And I feel it behaves differently than the option to : Right-click in Solution Explorer ==> Get Latest... What exactly is different and why is it different?

Since it behaves differently, I find myscelf clicking [Cancel] on that Get popup, then going to Solution Explorer and manually using "Get Latest..."

VP

Monday, October 27, 2014 12:29 PM
  • I haven't been able to login yet this week. It could be later this week, or next week.

I have not cast a vote on any entries posted for this question yet. I'll vote when I get the chance to verify these posts.

> I have tried to reproduce the scenario but don't see the pop up window(VS2013 Ultimate Update 3).

It's because I'm special and unique. It might have happened when on A I created the workspace, and on B I downloaded it. Or it could have been from B to A.

VP

Thursday, October 30, 2014 6:20 PM
  • Hi Violoncello,

You can also create a new workspace and do a workspace mapping as I mentioned. I don't think it's too hard to do walk through the process.

If you encounter the pop up window later and think it's not help to get things clear after you verified, then you can unmark the thread or open a new thread in the forum.

Best regards,

Friday, October 31, 2014 10:02 AM
  • I looked at the option "Enable get latest on check-out" and it is not related.

It's been a long week.. will look at other stuff when I get more time.

VP

Saturday, November 1, 2014 3:36 AM