nested canvas projectionplane problem with center of rotations... RRS feed

• Question

• note, I'm using Visual Studio 2012 with Update 3.

I seem to be having some issues not just with a single canvas in setting it's PlaneProjection properties, but the problem seems to be compounded when I use nested canvas.  If, for example, I have the following scenario:

<Canvas x:Name="outerShell">  <Canvas x:Name="xAxis">  </Canvas>  <Canvas x:Name="yAxis">  </Canvas></Canvas>

When attempting to use the properties editor, and attempting to set "any" of the above Canvas CenterOfRotation, the editor will basically reset itself when I enter values of 0.5 for the X rotation plane.  It will however oddly allow me to add values greater than 1... which makes no sense at all, since these are suppose to be values between 0 and 1 as they are percentage based, but I suppose if you want an anchor of rotation 200% to the right, you could.

Are these values used for CenterOfRotation for PlaneProjection anyway related to the RenderTransformOrigin?

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Do you mean when you attempting to set the RotationX to 0.5 in your cavas,the value reset itself? I cannot reproduce this problem. In my project, I can set PlaneProjection properties in the nested canvas.

I think the value of centerofRotation do not affects the RenderTransformOrigin value. But some of the same visual effects that you can produce with RenderTransform and RenderTransformOrigin can also be achieved with Projection and a PlaneProjection. For example, you can rotate a UIElement around its center by changing PlaneProjection.RotationZ.

Best Wishes!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey. Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by tsw Monday, November 4, 2013 9:20 PM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 7:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you mean when you attempting to set the RotationX to 0.5 in your cavas,the value reset itself? I cannot reproduce this problem. In my project, I can set PlaneProjection properties in the nested canvas.

I think the value of centerofRotation do not affects the RenderTransformOrigin value. But some of the same visual effects that you can produce with RenderTransform and RenderTransformOrigin can also be achieved with Projection and a PlaneProjection. For example, you can rotate a UIElement around its center by changing PlaneProjection.RotationZ.

Best Wishes!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey. Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by tsw Monday, November 4, 2013 9:20 PM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 7:04 AM
  • Hi Anne,

Yes, exactly.  When I attempt to set the value to 0.5 using the editor properties on the sidebar.. the value resets to 0.  I can code the value, but I ran into some issues later with other odd error message that I have not been able to reproduce as well as strange translation problems on the compound axis of rotation (probably a gimbal lock effect).

For the time being, I've changed how I'm handling this layout for now to workaround the gimbal lock and avoid using quaternions.

i'll just mark this as answered, I can reproduce the value resetting.. but other problems I'm not able too.

thanks for the idea of using Z rotation plane instead.

Monday, November 4, 2013 9:19 PM