How to make power pivot connections reusable/editable ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I've some power pivots in a share point server which data source is SQL server. I've used sql query (instead of selecting multiple tables) to fetch data from sql server. While creating the connection, I've export the connection file to local and then uploaded the same to the excel connection library in share point server. This uploaded connection file has been referred in the power pivot in share point. The power view reports are working fine in this server. The properties of the connection is editable till this.

But the problem will arise when we rename the power pivot sheet name. The browsing option of connection file and connection string become inactive after renaming the power pivot sheet name. How can I avoid this situation? I need to use the same power pivots and power views in different servers / sub sites on the same share point server. So I need the connection property or browsing option should be editable. Then only I can change the connection file location to the current site/ server. 

Can any of you give a solution to this issue?

Regards,

Julie

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 5:09 AM

Answers

• Hi All,

I got a solution for the above question. We can create the necessary sql connection in power pivot connection not in excel workbook connection. Before creating anything, open excel --> open power pivot --> connection from sql server --> give the server name and database name --> switch to query mode  --> write query and you can give the necessary name for the power pivot sheet as table name there. This works as we expected.

Regards,

Julie

• Proposed as answer by Michael Amadi Tuesday, February 10, 2015 10:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by Michael Amadi Tuesday, February 17, 2015 6:52 PM
    Friday, February 6, 2015 4:15 AM