Adding a custom 'project' and 'platform' type RRS feed

• Question

• I've been on a bit of a retro kick lately and have been figuring out how to use Visual Studio 2013 with CC65 (6502 compiler) and WinVICE (C64 emulator that has some debugging facilities.) I can create a C++ makefile project and set the project properties to call CC65 and run the code with WinVICE, so it is working OK.

The one little niggle is that VS insists on creating a Win32 fold under $(SolutionDir)$(Configuration)\obj, and Debug folder in $(SolutionDir) and $(SolutionDir)$(Configuration). This does not affect the functionality but it does bug the heck out of me.

I have been trying to understand where this folder creation functionality comes from and guess it is part of the C++ project type template. One idea was to create a 'C64' platform which would then create a C64 folder under $(SolutionDir)$(Configuration)\obj (which the makefile does anyhow if it does not find that folder.) This does not address the superfluous Debug folders though.

Now I am guessing to get the functionality I desire I would need to create a new project and platform type so that I can specify which folders are created? I'm not really sure 'how' it works at this point. There is a lot of conflicting info out there covering the various versions of VS and I don't know enough about it at this point to even know which direction to investigate.

Any help appreciated.

Jeff Birt

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 2:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Jeff_Birt,

>>"The one little niggle is that VS insists on creating a Win32 fold under $(SolutionDir)$(Configuration)\obj, and Debug folder in $(SolutionDir) and $(SolutionDir)$(Configuration)."

Because your application run in Debug mode, it will generate a Debug folder.>>"One idea was to create a 'C64' platform which would then create a C64 folder under $(SolutionDir)$(Configuration)\obj (which the makefile does anyhow if it does not find that folder.) "

In configuration manager, we could create a new platform.Best Regards,
    Li Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, July 4, 2016 8:15 AM
  • Thank you for your response. You are correct on why the Win32 folder was being generated. I added a line to the build command line to remove the folder as a temporary measure.

I do not have the choice of Any CPU. I can create a C64 platform as you show but I can not change the project to that platform type.

Jeff Birt

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 7:26 PM