none
Estimating Virtualization Hardware Requirements RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am a developer planning on building an "Enviroment in a Box" with Windows 2008 Virtualization. On top of the Host operating system I would like to run a TFS server, a couple of 2003 web servers, a couple of 2003 sql servers and one or two instances of Windows 2008. I would also like to be able to run one or two temporary Servers for test and play from time to time. The enviroment is for application testing and will rarely have more than 2 users on it. I do run CPU intensive data mining tasks on my app servers from time to time. I am building a single CPU system with 8GB of RAM.

Estimating RAM requirements is relatively straight forward, but I can't really figure out how estimate my CPU requirements. How many '1.5GHz P4s' and in a 2.6GHz Quad Core CPU :-). Do I need more Cores or more GHz's. Both doesn't seem like an option.

I hope these are simple questions for someone, coz they are not for me.

Thanks!

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 7:04 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure why you say more cores or more CPUs is not an option. Hyper-V allows multicore processing for its guest machines, and the faster the CPU, the better. I'd go with the fastest proc that your budget allows. I'm playing with an AMD 4600+ x64 w 4GB RAM right now with 4 guests, 1 AD (512MB), 1 SQL (1GB), 1 Exchange (512GB), and 1 App server (1GB). It runs pretty well, but I do need more RAM and I wish I had it on 15k SCSI drives. Booting up all the VM's after a restart is very slow. Hyper-V doesn't dynamically allocate RAM, so make sure you have enough, and if you anticipate a lot of disk IO, then you might want to consider multiple HDDs or SCSI drives if you can afford them. Otherwise, plan on being patient. :-)

Sunday, July 13, 2008 5:37 PM