Converting a legacy C++ app to Metro style that compiles and links via command line calls to cl and link, how do I deploy for debugging within VS?

Question

• Hello,

I'm converting a legacy C++ codebase to a Metro style app.  The build system is a C# app that reads the various .vcxproj settings and generates cl.exe and link.exe calls directly, rather than using devenv.com or msbuild.exe.

What's missing is whatever 'magic' Visual Studio does to a Metro style app when you hit F5 to debug, which I'm guessing is some form of temporary packaging and deployment.  The codebase is too big to recreate it using one of the Metro style apps that VS provides, it also needs to continue to support previous version of Windows and other platforms and we want to keep the build process the same for all target platforms.

So could you describe what steps need to be taken after linking is complete (or maybe there are options to cl.exe and link.exe I need to provide?) that gets my app in the same state (i.e. ready for debugging from within VS) as though I were building a project based on one of the Metro style app templates?

Thanks!

Jared

Sunday, July 15, 2012 3:18 AM

All replies

• This is not a Windows desktop dev issue, please use this Tools for Metro Style App forum:http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/toolsforwinapps/threads

Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, July 16, 2012 5:53 AM
  • Hello Jared,

are you at a point with your custom build process where the .appxrecipe file is being created?  Do you see a file like that after going through your custom build?

Visual Studio does some comparisons between that file and the layout directory to determine what they need to delete or copy to update the layout folder.  In addition, VS checks if there is a valid developer license.  Once the layout folder matches what is in the appxrecipe file, they install dependent frameworks specified in the recipe file followed by registering the full metro package.  The appxrecipe file is in a XML format.

in a remote scenario, similar things are done but an app tailoreddeploy is used to remotely register the package on that machine.

That is a big picture view of what VS is doing during a deploy.

thanks!

mike

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:51 PM
  • Hi Mike, thanks for your response.

No, an .appxrecipe file is not being created...what do I do to create that?

Are the other steps you describe for VS, something that can be automated?

Thanks,

Jared

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 1:24 AM