Import a silverlight app into and asp web site RRS feed

• Question

• I have an asp web site which is live I also have a Silverlight (with RIA) app in a seperate solution

I want to include the silverlight app in the main web site
    so

it it possible to import the silverlight app?
    or
    would I be better keeping them as seperate web sites?
    and
    I pass login information from the asp web app to the silverlight app

Thursday, December 16, 2010 1:48 PM

Answers

• That depends on the layout of the Silverlight Application and whether it is intended to take up the entire page or a sub part.  You can add the Silverlight app by embedding the object tag into the aspx file and making sure that the xap file is in the relative path.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 1:54 PM
  • Hi,

Silverlight applications which run in web pages are based on the ActiveX component. Just similar with the Flash, it only need the*.xap files and use some HTML markups include the Silverlight applications. So actually they are indenpendent of the main websites which they deployed.

But if the Silverlight using WCF RIA service, we need to configure the correct path to make the Silverlight application find the correct WCF service. So the key is where you deploy the site with the WCF RIA service. If the WCF RIA service is independent of the main website which deploy the Silverlight application, I suggest to use standard WCF service, because it could be configured much easier.

Monday, December 20, 2010 2:19 AM

All replies

• That depends on the layout of the Silverlight Application and whether it is intended to take up the entire page or a sub part.  You can add the Silverlight app by embedding the object tag into the aspx file and making sure that the xap file is in the relative path.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 1:54 PM
  • thank you

the silverlight app is stand alone ie it runs in its own aspx page, it is currently running on a test rig
    I do not want to 'build' it into the existing web site rather to be able to acccess it from the existing site and to move between the two

Thursday, December 16, 2010 1:58 PM
  • Hi,

Silverlight applications which run in web pages are based on the ActiveX component. Just similar with the Flash, it only need the*.xap files and use some HTML markups include the Silverlight applications. So actually they are indenpendent of the main websites which they deployed.

But if the Silverlight using WCF RIA service, we need to configure the correct path to make the Silverlight application find the correct WCF service. So the key is where you deploy the site with the WCF RIA service. If the WCF RIA service is independent of the main website which deploy the Silverlight application, I suggest to use standard WCF service, because it could be configured much easier.

Monday, December 20, 2010 2:19 AM