none
detach attachments from outlook when new emails are received RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Some admins receive text, images and excel files as attachments in the outlook express 2007 and manually save them to a network drive.  Emails will now be received in a new mail box that is not monitored by a person. My task is to automate the process via some code or rules. According to the new process when an email with an attachment is received, the attachment should be detached to the network drive, another notifcation will be sent out to the admins that file has been received and detached and the original email should be deleted. Can some one suggest a way of designing such a process, I am not sure about the options such as do I need to created a rule in the mail file,  do I need to create a new project in Visual Studio or and some how tie it to the outlook express or design it directly in the VBA editor etc.  Thanks

• Edited by johnzee1 Monday, February 11, 2013 1:02 PM
    Monday, February 11, 2013 1:02 PM

Answers

• Yeah, Exchange admins can be touchy, but they have nothing to fear from a well-designed solution.  Regardless, my Windows Service approach can be run on any PC - even without Outlook installed - as long as the MAPI subsystem is installed (i.e. the presence of the Mail applet in Control Panel).  The key is the use of Redemption as opposed to programming with the Outlook Object Model, which isn't supported to be run in a service context.

You could still develop a COM Add-in, but Outlook would have to be running all the time. Your other option is an Exchange Agent.

Selecting an API or Technology for Developing Outlook Solutions
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg608200(office.14).aspx

Eric Legault MVP (Outlook)
    About me...
    Outlook Appins: Store Social Media fields in your Outlook Contacts!

• Marked as answer by johnzee1 Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:16 PM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 3:56 PM

All replies

• Try searching for "save attachments" on OutlookCode.com, or see this:

Save Attachments to the hard drive - Slipstick Systems
    http://www.slipstick.com/outlook-developer/save-attachments-to-the-hard-drive/

However the best solution I'd recommend may be the most difficult for you if you're new to Outlook programming. If this needs to be run 24x7 on an unmonitored Mailbox, I'd create a Windows Service application using Redemption's RDOFolderSynchronizer object.  Note that the simple VBA solutions you may find out there will be using the ItemAdd event, which is not reliable.

About me...

Monday, February 11, 2013 3:09 PM
  • Thanks for your advice, can you please tell me whether this code will reside on the exchange server or in the outlook client.  Before I spend time developing a solution I was told that Admins won't allow scripting to run on the exchange server.
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 3:20 PM
  • Yeah, Exchange admins can be touchy, but they have nothing to fear from a well-designed solution.  Regardless, my Windows Service approach can be run on any PC - even without Outlook installed - as long as the MAPI subsystem is installed (i.e. the presence of the Mail applet in Control Panel).  The key is the use of Redemption as opposed to programming with the Outlook Object Model, which isn't supported to be run in a service context.

You could still develop a COM Add-in, but Outlook would have to be running all the time. Your other option is an Exchange Agent.

Selecting an API or Technology for Developing Outlook Solutions
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg608200(office.14).aspx

About me...

• Marked as answer by johnzee1 Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:16 PM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 3:56 PM