none
VS Error Opening Web Page - Missing stdole.dll (Microsoft.VisualStudio.JavaScript.Web.Extensions.Interop.HTMLEditor.HTMLTreeHelperFactory.Create)

Question

• The first time I open up a *htm* file in my Asp.Net solution, I get a generic error message from Visual Studio. Opening the ActivityLog.xml file, I see the following:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'stdole, Version=7.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'stdole, Version=7.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.JavaScript.Web.Extensions.Interop.HTMLEditor.HTMLTreeHelperFactory.Create(ITextBuffer buffer)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.JavaScript.Web.Extensions.Interop.HTMLEditor.HTMLTreeHelperFactory.<>c__DisplayClass0_0.<GetOrCreate>b__0()
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Utilities.PropertyCollection.GetOrCreateSingletonProperty[T](Object key, Func`1 creator)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.JavaScript.Web.Extensions.Interop.HTMLEditor.HTMLTreeHelperFactory.GetOrCreate(ITextBuffer buffer)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.JavaScript.Web.Extensions.Classification.SPARegionTagger..ctor(ITextView view, ITextBuffer sourceBuffer, ISPASupportedTagProvider tagNameProver)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.JavaScript.Web.Extensions.Classification.SPARegionTaggerProvider.<>c__DisplayClass2_0`1.<CreateTagger>b__0()
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Utilities.PropertyCollection.GetOrCreateSingletonProperty[T](Object key, Func`1 creator)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.JavaScript.Web.Extensions.Classification.SPARegionTaggerProvider.CreateTagger[T](ITextView textView, ITextBuffer buffer)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Tagging.Implementation.TagAggregator`1.GatherTaggers(ITextBuffer textBuffer)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

It clearly can't find stdole.dll. I've tried:

- Starting in safe mode. This didn't disable whatever is causing the issue.

- Reinstalling the Tools and Windows SDK as described at https://github.com/Microsoft/TypeScript/issues/4238 . I also cleared the cache and updated the configuration. This did not do anything.

I fixed the issue by copying stdole.dll from a known good location on my machine into the same location as devenv.exe. HOWEVER, this is a hacky solution. I was wondering if anyone has seen this issue and what they've done to solve it, or what troubleshooting steps I can take to find a non-hacky solution to this problem. Thanks!

Thursday, July 21, 2016 12:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Brian Heuston,

>> The first time I open up a *htm* file in my Asp.Net solution,  

Please create a default sample ASP.NET solution and open a default HTML file to check whether this problem occurs with the existing project or all projects.

If just occurs with this specific project, there may be something that you installed for your project and something referenced is missing. Please restore the packages that install for your project and check all references that in your project.

If all projects have this issue and since you copy the stdole.dll to the location where is the same as devenv.exe, there may be something wrong with your Visual Studio installation. Please try repair your Visual Studio installation through Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Visual Studio version -> Change -> Repair.

In addition, which version of Visual Studio do you use? I check my Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise Update 3 installation, I don't find stdole.dll in the devenv.exe path. Do you install any extensions and plugins for your Visual Studio? Please tell us and I will try it in my side to check whether this problem caused by the broken extensions and plugins installation.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, July 22, 2016 2:49 AM
  • Tried a brand new Asp.Net project - same issue happens.

I'm using the latest version of VS2015 with Update 3 (14.0.25424.00). I do install plugins, but I started in safe mode (which is supposed to disable all extensions and plugins), but this didn't solve the problem. Do you need a full list of extensions/plugins? 

Stdole.dll shouldn't be in the same folder as devenv.exe, but it was the easiest way to get VS to find the DLL in question. 

I'll try running the repair to see if that works.

Monday, July 25, 2016 8:22 PM
  • Hi Brian Heuston,

>>Stdole.dll

It seems that it is the Primary Interop Assemblies under the folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft.NET\Primary Interop Assemblies.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/162028/what-does-stdole-dll-do

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/1212ed53-eb57-4bf2-8b02-7ce29e0ee427/stdoledll?forum=winformssetup

Thanks,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 3:54 PM