Is there any way to convert a .xlsm file to .xlsx / .xls file without losing the macro? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Please help me out to find any solution for converting .xlsm file to .xlsx file without losing the macro functionality which is already there in the xlsm file. I have tried many ways like enabling macro in xlsx / xls file, but it doesn't work.

I found somewhere in the forum, that xlsx doesn't support macro due to security reasons...Is it true?.

Please let me know if there is any solution for this...

Thanks in advance

Dinesh

• Edited by Dinesh KS Thursday, January 29, 2015 2:49 PM
    Thursday, January 29, 2015 2:38 PM

Answers

• Hi All,

Please help me out to find any solution for converting .xlsm file to .xls file without losing the macro functionality which is already there in the xlsm file. I have tried many ways like enabling macro in xls file, but it doesn't work.

Thanks in advance

Dinesh

Do you mean you are trying to save as an ".xlsx" file and not ".xls"? The old Excel format "xls" does support saving the workbook with macros, but xlsx will always be macro free.
    Thursday, January 29, 2015 2:51 PM
  • Thanks John,

I have tried to save as both xlsx and xls..but failed to get macro..

Is it possible to save as .xls with macro?..I found its not working after re-open the file again after save.

Please advise..

Dinesh

Hmm that is weird. If I may ask why do you need to save the document in xls format. This is an older format. Even if you have Excel 2003 you can still open an xlsm file format with Microsoft compatibility pack

The other option is to export the macro and then re-import it into the xls file.

ALT-F11 > Right Click in Project Explorer > Export > file

In xls file:

ALT-F11 > Right Click in Project Explorer > Import > file > save

Thursday, January 29, 2015 4:19 PM

All replies

• Hi All,

Please help me out to find any solution for converting .xlsm file to .xls file without losing the macro functionality which is already there in the xlsm file. I have tried many ways like enabling macro in xls file, but it doesn't work.

Thanks in advance

Dinesh

Do you mean you are trying to save as an ".xlsx" file and not ".xls"? The old Excel format "xls" does support saving the workbook with macros, but xlsx will always be macro free.
    Thursday, January 29, 2015 2:51 PM
  • Thanks John,

Is it possible to save as .xls with macro?..I found its not working after re-open the file again after save.

Please advise..

Dinesh

Thursday, January 29, 2015 3:19 PM
  • Thanks John,

Please advise..

Dinesh

Hmm that is weird. If I may ask why do you need to save the document in xls format. This is an older format. Even if you have Excel 2003 you can still open an xlsm file format with Microsoft compatibility pack

The other option is to export the macro and then re-import it into the xls file.

ALT-F11 > Right Click in Project Explorer > Export > file

In xls file:

ALT-F11 > Right Click in Project Explorer > Import > file > save

Thursday, January 29, 2015 4:19 PM
  • Thanks John,

Let me try this once and get back to you....

Dinesh

Thursday, January 29, 2015 4:35 PM