Xamarin Studio Mac -> Visual Studio Mac: Keep preferences? RRS feed

• Question

• User75573 posted

Hi--

I have a bunch of coding style and other preferences in Xamarin Studio and now that I've installed Visual Studio for Mac, they are all gone. Is there a way to copy these over? Or do I just need to start over? Let me know. Thanks.

Eric

Friday, May 19, 2017 6:30 PM

Answers

• User21936 posted

The Xamarin Studio preferences are stored in a file called MonoDevelopProperties.xml at path:

/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/XamarinStudio-[version#]/MonoDevelopProperties.xml

The path for Visual Studio for Mac is:

/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/VisualStudio/7.0/MonoDevelopProperties.xml

So you could try just moving the MonoDevelopProperties.xml file from the first location to the second. Note I am not 100% sure that they are compatible, but I strongly suspect they are. But just in case I would recommend saving the Visual Studio preferences file to another location before replacing it with the Xamarin Studio preferences file.

Also note that the ~/Library folder is hidden by default in macOS Finder. To open it you can unhide it by opening Finder, selecting your home folder on the left, and in the Finder menu choose View->Show View Options. A window will open with a checkbox to Show Library Folder. Check that box and the Library folder will no longer be hidden.

Or you can open it from the command line in Terminal: open ~/Library

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, May 19, 2017 8:50 PM

All replies

• User21936 posted

The Xamarin Studio preferences are stored in a file called MonoDevelopProperties.xml at path:

/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/XamarinStudio-[version#]/MonoDevelopProperties.xml

The path for Visual Studio for Mac is:

/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/VisualStudio/7.0/MonoDevelopProperties.xml

So you could try just moving the MonoDevelopProperties.xml file from the first location to the second. Note I am not 100% sure that they are compatible, but I strongly suspect they are. But just in case I would recommend saving the Visual Studio preferences file to another location before replacing it with the Xamarin Studio preferences file.

Also note that the ~/Library folder is hidden by default in macOS Finder. To open it you can unhide it by opening Finder, selecting your home folder on the left, and in the Finder menu choose View->Show View Options. A window will open with a checkbox to Show Library Folder. Check that box and the Library folder will no longer be hidden.

Or you can open it from the command line in Terminal: open ~/Library

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, May 19, 2017 8:50 PM
  • User75573 posted

Hi--

I tried that, but it didn't seem to stick. Bit the bullet and re-entered it. Hope there's not something I missed! :)

Eric

Saturday, May 20, 2017 1:17 AM