Publishing Conflicts even after publishing RRS feed

• Question

• I am collaborating with a programmer on my website and want to download all his changes to my local site so I can have a copy. So I open the site ftp://www.summitfathers.org and set it to publish to C:\Users\AskJacq\Desktop\~ EW Webs\SCFI. I click on the publishing tab and I see all the files from the live site on the left and all the local files on the right. I click on the > button to publish and it says it does it, but every single file has a red exclamation mark and "Conflict" in the status. The files have the same timestamps, but they are different sizes, so I know something is wrong. What am I doing incorrectly? Thanks!
    Monday, September 23, 2013 3:30 PM

Answers

• Actually, that's the best way.  Download his changes, tell him when to download your changes.  Otherwise you won't both be working with the same information.  (And, of course, coordinate so that you aren't both working on the same files at the same time.)

Frankly, I keep track of the files I've changed and publish those explicitly.  I don't rely on EW to know which ones have changed from what's on the server.  Just a habit of mine.

• Marked as answer by AskJacq2 Monday, September 23, 2013 4:37 PM
    Monday, September 23, 2013 4:32 PM

All replies

• ASCII transfer of files between Windows and Linux will result in different sizes (and your site is on an Apache/Linux server). There are different line ending sequences, and a conversion is made.  Is that what you are seeing?

As for conflict - EW won't be able to keep track of changes made both by you and by someone else.  It stores local data about the files on the server when it publishes, and it's not just timestamp or size.   You'll need to manually coordinate with the other developer to know your files are in synch.  [I believe if you publish all the files back up to the server, you'll remove the conflicts, but that will only last until the other person makes changs and you download everything again.]

Monday, September 23, 2013 4:08 PM
  • Thanks Kathy. Yes, it is a linux server, so that would explain the differences in sizes. 

Is there a better way to collaborate than downloading his changes from the live site? 

Monday, September 23, 2013 4:12 PM
  • Actually, that's the best way.  Download his changes, tell him when to download your changes.  Otherwise you won't both be working with the same information.  (And, of course, coordinate so that you aren't both working on the same files at the same time.)

Frankly, I keep track of the files I've changed and publish those explicitly.  I don't rely on EW to know which ones have changed from what's on the server.  Just a habit of mine.

• Marked as answer by AskJacq2 Monday, September 23, 2013 4:37 PM
    Monday, September 23, 2013 4:32 PM
  • Excellent advice. Thanks!
    Monday, September 23, 2013 4:37 PM