Creating and Writing to a new file upon selecting destination in FileSavePicker

Question

• I'm having a little difficulty figuring out what the cause of this error is. I've added FilePicker capabilities in the Manifest, and it's not like I'm trying to do anything crazy; just trying to save to a sub folder within the Documents folder...

Error:
    "An unhandled exception of type 'System.UnauthorizedAccessException' occurred in mscorlib.dll

Additional information: Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))"

I have confirmed that my User Account is Admin and that it has Full Control over folders and files. But I'm not sure what else I can try. I'm only new to writing data to the drive in Metro apps and I have to admit, I am struggling :/

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit:

The code I am using is below:

public void NewBTN_Click(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
            {

var mbox = new MessageDialog("Would you like to save changes before creating a new Note?", "Note+ Confirmation");

UICommand YesBTN = new UICommand("Yes", new UICommandInvokedHandler(OnYesBTN));
                UICommand NoBTN = new UICommand("No", new UICommandInvokedHandler(OnNoBTN));

mbox.Commands.Add(YesBTN);
                mbox.Commands.Add(NoBTN);

mbox.DefaultCommandIndex = 1;
                mbox.ShowAsync().Start();
            }

async void OnYesBTN(object command)
            {
                this.Dispatcher.Invoke(Windows.UI.Core.CoreDispatcherPriority.Normal, (s, a) =>
                    {
                        // User clicked yes. Show File picker.
                        HasPickedFile = true;

}, this, null);

if (HasPickedFile)
                {
                    FileSavePicker savePicker = new FileSavePicker();
                    savePicker.SuggestedStartLocation = PickerLocationId.DocumentsLibrary;
                    // Dropdown of file types the user can save the file as
                    savePicker.FileTypeChoices.Add("Cascading Stylesheet", new List<string>() { ".css" });
                    savePicker.FileTypeChoices.Add("Hypertext Markup Language", new List<string>() { ".html" });
                    savePicker.FileTypeChoices.Add("Plain Text", new List<string>() { ".txt" });
                    // Default extension if the user does not select a choice explicitly from the dropdown
                    savePicker.DefaultFileExtension = ".txt";
                    // Default file name if the user does not type one in or select a file to replace
                    savePicker.SuggestedFileName = "New Note";
                    StorageFile savedItem = await savePicker.PickSaveFileAsync();

if (null != savedItem)
                    {
                        // Application now has read/write access to the saved file
                        StorageFolder sFolder = await StorageFolder.GetFolderFromPathAsync(savedItem.Path);

try
                        {
                            StorageFile sFile = await sFolder.GetFileAsync(savedItem.FileName);
                            IRandomAccessStream writeStream = await sFile.OpenAsync(FileAccessMode.ReadWrite);

IOutputStream oStream = writeStream.GetOutputStreamAt(0);
                            DataWriter dWriter = new DataWriter(oStream);
                            dWriter.WriteString(Note.Text);

await dWriter.StoreAsync();
                            oStream.FlushAsync().Start();

// Should've successfully written to the file that Windows FileSavePicker had created.
                        }
                        catch
                        {
                            var mbox = new MessageDialog("This file does not exist.", "Note+ Confirmation");

UICommand OkBTN = new UICommand("Ok", new UICommandInvokedHandler(OnOkBTN));

mbox.Commands.Add(OkBTN);

mbox.DefaultCommandIndex = 1;
                            mbox.ShowAsync().Start();
                        }
                    }
                }
            }

public void OnOkBTN(object command)
            {
                    {
                        // Do something here.
                    }, this, null);
            }
            public void OnNoBTN(object command)
            {
                    {
                        // Don't save changes. Just create a new blank Note.
                        Note.Text = String.Empty;
                    }, this, null);
            }

• Edited by J. Kent Tuesday, December 06, 2011 1:50 AM Added Code (C#)
    Monday, December 05, 2011 10:26 PM

All replies

• Hi J, did you add the Documents Library access in your manifest? -Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Tuesday, December 06, 2011 5:24 PM
  • Yep, I did Jeff! :-D But still not worky :( At first, I thought it may be a problem with how I wrote the code, but since I was following multiple tutorials on the subjects, I think that's unlikely.

I'm not really sure what to do next.

It's very strange, though. Because I just ran the FileAccess sample for C# and it saved the file to where ever I tried to save it. Then I ran the FilePicker sample, and that worked too.

I also created two of my own sample apps. A FileSavePicker one, and a WriteFile one. Both of which work on their own, but when combined, the file gets created by the FileSavePicker with zero-length, but the contents still never gets written to that file.

I'm beginning to think that maybe the order in which I am writing to the file that has been created may be wrong?

Jase

Tuesday, December 06, 2011 8:52 PM
  • Jase,

You can send me an email from here with your project zipped up: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jpsanders/contact.aspx

If I can recreate the issue I can debug it easier and save us both some time I hope!

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Tuesday, December 06, 2011 9:01 PM
  • Jeff,

I am unable to upload files.

I'm not sure what is going on, but I cannot upload attachments to Hotmail, or any other e-mail service. I also tried uploading the zip file to Windows Live SkyDrive service to a public folder but after selecting a file to upload (using any service), nothing happens. It's as if I never clicked the 'upload' or 'attach' button to begin with. This is very strange.

Could it be that Windows Dev Preview is not letting apps/sites access the filesystem?

[*Edit*]

Finally able to attach files. Email sent!

Thanks

jase

• Edited by J. Kent Sunday, December 11, 2011 3:17 AM
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 4:23 AM
  • Strange issue Jase... I have not had any problems like that using Win8 (and I have been using it for months).  For this 2nd issue, please open a thread in the General OS Forum and let's see if someone over there could have a hint for what this problem is.

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Monday, December 12, 2011 1:17 PM