Can I still download lightswitch? RRS feed

• Question

• Does Lightswitch still exist, I can't find any way to download it?
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 10:26 AM

Answers

• It does and many of us are still using it with great success!

You can use LightSwitch in either VS 2013 or 2015. I highly recommend using VS 2015 as it crashes far less often :)

No need to download anything, it comes with VS 2015. When installing you just need to make sure to include the C# Web Development (maybe called something else during install?). Also, I found that after installing VS 2015 LightSwitch has some issues, that were corrected by downloading and installing this package from Microsoft:

Microsoft Office Development Tools for Visual Studio 2015 Update 2

Jeremy

• Marked as answer by AndyNakamura Tuesday, December 19, 2017 1:47 PM
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 3:28 PM

All replies

• It does and many of us are still using it with great success!

You can use LightSwitch in either VS 2013 or 2015. I highly recommend using VS 2015 as it crashes far less often :)

No need to download anything, it comes with VS 2015. When installing you just need to make sure to include the C# Web Development (maybe called something else during install?). Also, I found that after installing VS 2015 LightSwitch has some issues, that were corrected by downloading and installing this package from Microsoft:

Microsoft Office Development Tools for Visual Studio 2015 Update 2

Jeremy

• Marked as answer by AndyNakamura Tuesday, December 19, 2017 1:47 PM
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 3:28 PM
  • Thanks Jeremy,

I have both VS2103 & 2015 and can't find any sign of Lightswitch. Maybe I didn't download all the components.

I actually have an app developed in Lightswitch 2011 but that stopped working for some reason and I've been unable to update the app for a few years.

I'll see if I can re-install 2015. Can I still develop in Visual Basic?

Friday, December 15, 2017 7:34 AM
  • You might be able to simply modify your VS 2015 installation. If you go into add/remove programs and click on the entry for VS 2015 then click on Change at the top, you can click on Modify on the window that pops up and select more components. I 'think' it is listed under the "Windows and Web Development" section as "Microsoft Web Developer Tools".

And yes, you should still be able to develop in Visual Basic. I have LightSwitch listed as an available project type under VB. I prefer C#, and also the majority of examples that I find online are written in C#. I don't think there is any advantage to using either one though.

Jeremy

Friday, December 15, 2017 4:07 PM
  • Thanks Jeremy,

I have it working in VS2015 community.

It seems very similar to the 2011 version I developed my app in. Unfortunately I can't open the old version.

Saturday, December 16, 2017 10:29 AM