Error DEP0600 Can't deploy or debug on device RRS feed

• Question

• Updated Visual Studio to the newly released Update 2 and now every new Windows Phone project I create it always gives me the following error whenever I try to debug it.

Index (zero based) must be greater than or equal to zero and less than the size of the argument list

It doesn't tell me specifically what the error is,  my code looks fine to me.  I even tried to debug a new project with no alterations and still get the same error.

I'm stuck and can't do anything if I can't test my apps.

Please help. :(

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 10:26 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I was able to reproduce the same issue deploying a WP8.1 app with the following environment :

- Windows 10

- VS2015 Update 2

- Windows Phone 8.1

Although the reason was not obvious to me, I decided to deploy outside of VS2015 using AppDeployCmd.exe from the 8.1 SDK (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Phone\v8.1\Tools\AppDeploy). The error message was more explicit : my device was not developer unlocked. So I had to unlock it using the PhoneReg.exe (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Phone\v8.1\Tools\Phone Registration). Then switching back to VS2015, deploy the app in debug mode worked nicely. Hope it'll help.

• Proposed as answer by pjcdev Monday, April 25, 2016 7:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Barry Wang Friday, April 29, 2016 6:01 AM
    Monday, April 25, 2016 5:02 PM

All replies

• Try doing a repair on update 2.
    Tuesday, April 5, 2016 11:04 AM
  • I tried that and a complete reinstall but still getting that weird error.

It would be great if the error gave me some indication as to where to look in order to fix this but it doesn't,  just that message I posted above :\ 

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 1:57 PM
  • Hello amygreenx,

Can you try your project on emulator to test? If emulator also pops up the error message, then the problem may related to Visual Studio Update 2 installation. Then I need to collect your logs. Please refer to this blog:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/179d5cdf-c456-4e05-ab9e-3d550839f5be/error-dep0600-cant-deploy-or-debug-on-device?forum=wpdevelop

Run the collect.exe and you will find vslogs.cab file under %temp% folder. Please upload your %temp% folder to us.

If emulator cannot reproduce this problem, I think I need to collect some more info from you. For example, what is your phone type and it's system version.

By the way, I'm not so sure when you get the error. Is it occurs when you create a new project or when you debug your project?

Best regards,

Barry

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 6:54 AM
  • Any update on this issue?

I am having this same issue deploying a Windows Phone 8.1 store app from Windows 10 / VS2015 Update 2 to Windows Phone 8.1 ARM device. I get:

1>Checking whether required frameworks are installed...
    1>Framework: Microsoft.VCLibs.120.00.Phone.Debug/ARM, app package version 12.0.30113.0 is not currently installed.
    1>Installing missing frameworks...
    1>DEP0600 : The following unexpected error occurred during deployment:
    1>Index (zero based) must be greater than or equal to zero and less than the size of the argument list.

This happens in a simple test app with SQLite as well as a blank app with just the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Runtime Package for Windows Phone" reference.

Monday, April 25, 2016 3:36 PM
  • Hi,

I was able to reproduce the same issue deploying a WP8.1 app with the following environment :

- Windows 10

- VS2015 Update 2

- Windows Phone 8.1

Although the reason was not obvious to me, I decided to deploy outside of VS2015 using AppDeployCmd.exe from the 8.1 SDK (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Phone\v8.1\Tools\AppDeploy). The error message was more explicit : my device was not developer unlocked. So I had to unlock it using the PhoneReg.exe (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Phone\v8.1\Tools\Phone Registration). Then switching back to VS2015, deploy the app in debug mode worked nicely. Hope it'll help.

• Proposed as answer by pjcdev Monday, April 25, 2016 7:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Barry Wang Friday, April 29, 2016 6:01 AM
    Monday, April 25, 2016 5:02 PM
  • Nicolas,

Thank you for your quick and (most importantly) correct reply. Your suggestion solved the issue in my case.

Thanks again!

-Patrick

Monday, April 25, 2016 7:08 PM
  • I got this error when I had already been messing about with my phone and had 2 custom apps installed on a free developer account. So, I believe this is also the error one gets when there are no more slots for new "developer side loaded" apps. After deleting both of the other apps installed, I could deploy apps with no issues. 
    • Proposed as answer by Dorin Ionescu Tuesday, May 17, 2016 4:50 PM
    Monday, May 16, 2016 1:07 PM
  • Yes - Henderson101 - answer solved my problem

My Windows Phone 8 was already registered but I run VS debugging for 10 more apps on my device.

The Developer account still have 5 apps (after this 10 more apps) but it seems that a different limited queue is maintained by Visual Studio Debugger.

Probably at 10 apps it gives you this message because I started to delete 4 of the previous debugged apps from my phone and it started to go.

What was funny was that I thought that something is broken in VS and I tested again the first 2, 3 apps and they worked (because they where already installed on my mobile phone). So delete some of the tested apps from your mobile and start to test new ones !

Thank you Henderson101 - see you in Vegas !

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 5:00 PM
  • Thanks a million, you saved my day ! I noticed the same on my Lumia 520. Two old apps for testing purpose, a DirectX and a basic example were installed... I deleted them, and now I can deploy apps.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 4:53 PM