ClientBin empty after installing Blend 3 RC RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I installed the Expression Blend 3 RC today, and now my web projects no longer copy the XAP files to the ClientBin folder (yes, I do have the Silverlight projects listed in the "Silverlight Applications" tab of my project).

Copying it by hand really bites, and I'll occasionally forget to do so before debugging and find myself thinking "WTF? I thought I updated this or that... oh yeah, need to copy the file(s) over again".

For what it's worth. I'm using Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition with the current SP, and I had the previous Blend 3 beta installed prior to installing the RC.

Does anyone know of a solution?  I'm apparently not alone:
    http://silverlight.net/forums/p/110808/251765.aspx

I really enjoy working with Blend, and I'd love to buy version 3 when it becomes available... but problems such as this one make me think twice.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Charles
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 11:19 PM

Answers

• Success!

Here's how I got everything to work again:

1. Uninstalled Blend 3 + Sketch Flow RC Trial
      (The uninstaller crashed on me, so what I had to do was extract the downloaded Blend_Trial_en.exe (the RC one ) using WinRAR, then run \Setup\Blend_en.msi - then select "Uninstall")
    2. Installed the RTW version of Blend 3
      (The installer crashed, so I had to extract the Blend_Trial_en.exe using WinRAR and run the files in the Setup folder)
    3. Installed the Blend 3 SDK bundled with Blend 3 + Sketch Flow RTW
      (The installer crashed, so I had to extract the Blend_Trial_en.exe using WinRAR and run the files in the Setup folder)
    4. Uninstalled the Silverlight 3 SDK
    5. Installed the Silverlight 3 SDK bundled with Blend 3 + Sketch Flow RTW
    I tried a build between each of those steps, and it was right after the last one that the build successfully resulted in the xap being moved to \ClientBin.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the support Unni.

Cheers,
    -Charles
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Charles,

I am curious to know what happens when you build that same project in VS - does the .xap file get copied into the right location?

To be clear, Blend does not have the same level of support for Web Projects as much as VS does - we support Websites at the same level as VS, however. So if you were to use a Website instead of a Web project, that will def. work.

Thanks,
    Unni

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:43 AM
  • Also, here is what I tried (and it worked for me - so it would be nice to see a project repro for us to investigate)

a) Create a new Silverlight 3 Application in VS - choose ASP.net Web project as the option in the dialog presented
    b) Build and run, everything works
    c) Open the same solution in Blend
    d) Set the startup project to be the Web project, and set the start page to be the .aspx page (you need to duplicate this setting in Blend, but once you do it, we remember this for future openings of the solution)
    e) Draw a rectangle in Page.xaml
    f) Build and run - rectangle shows up.

Thanks,
    unni
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:48 AM
  • Hi Unni,

Thanks for the suggestions - I found a problem at step one :)

Now when I try to create a new silverlight app, I'm presented an error message indicating that I need to install the Silverlight 3 SDK...  Sorta odd considering that I had it installed prior to installing Blend 3 RC.

I'll try reinstalling it and see if that fixes my problems.  I'm not sure where things went wrong, so I would consider my case an exception and not worry to much about it.

I'll let you know how reinstalling turns out.

Thanks,
    -Charles
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:28 PM
  • Hello again,

I reinstalled the SDK, and I no longer see the error message indicating to install the SDK, so that's good.  Unfortunately, building in VS does not result in the xap being copied to the ClientBin folder (I tried with a brand new project, as you suggested).

Since the SDK mysteriously disappeared from my computer, I figure that it won't hurt to try reinstalling the Silverlight Tools.  I'll let you know if that works.

Thanks,
    -Charles
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:44 PM
  • Alright, somehow I completely overlooked the fact that Blend 3 RTW was released on the 20th.

I installed the Release Candidate from here (submitted on the 9th)...
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=92e1db7a-5d36-449b-8c6b-d25f078f3609&displaylang=en

... and I really should have downloaded the RTW (submitted on the 20th):
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e82db5e2-7106-419e-80b0-65cce89f06bb&displaylang=en

I'll try uninstalling the Release Candidate and install the RTW package.

I googled "blend 3" yesterday, and found pages and pages of links to content referring to the Release Candidate, and figured I'd download and install it - and now I'm in this predicament.  Damn you, google :)!

I still need to see if installing the RTW fixes my problems, but hopefully this will spare someone else the frustration over such a silly mistake.

Thanks again,
    -Charles
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 4:09 PM
  • Success!

Here's how I got everything to work again:

1. Uninstalled Blend 3 + Sketch Flow RC Trial
      (The uninstaller crashed on me, so what I had to do was extract the downloaded Blend_Trial_en.exe (the RC one ) using WinRAR, then run \Setup\Blend_en.msi - then select "Uninstall")
    2. Installed the RTW version of Blend 3
    3. Installed the Blend 3 SDK bundled with Blend 3 + Sketch Flow RTW
    4. Uninstalled the Silverlight 3 SDK
    5. Installed the Silverlight 3 SDK bundled with Blend 3 + Sketch Flow RTW
    I tried a build between each of those steps, and it was right after the last one that the build successfully resulted in the xap being moved to \ClientBin.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the support Unni.

Cheers,
    -Charles
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:10 PM
  • Thanks a lot Charles. I followed the exact steps that you listed in your post and I can get my Silverlight projects to work now.

Thanks again.
    Sai Gudigundla
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 7:56 PM