Can't login on deployed clubsite RRS feed

• Question

• User-105791088 posted

I have deployed a clubsite to a discountasp server. I can login fine when connecting to remote db on my local website, I can't login to the same db on the deployed app. It goes direclty to the error page.

I am noob as can be so I have two questions -

1) How do I switch the app so it will go to the actuall error messages instead of the error page 

2) How do I allow logins on the deployed application.

I checked a Scott Gu blog on this and the application root is not specified at all in my web.config so it is not that.

Do i need to create roles explicitly in the asp admin tool for it to work after deployment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys! 

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 8:55 PM

All replies

• User-1853252149 posted

Set customErrors = "Off" in your web.config to see the error.  Does your host support SQL Express?

Jeff

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 4:39 AM
  • User-105791088 posted
    No I have migrated the schema to MSSQL 2005.
    Wednesday, August 30, 2006 5:04 AM
  • User-1853252149 posted

Okay, does your host support MS SQL?  Did you modify connection strings to account for your host's SQL server configuration?

Jeff

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 7:40 AM
  • User-105791088 posted
    I changed the connection strings to connect to MSSQL. The views are all appearing as they should (after initial opening issues which 50% of the time give an error), but when I try to login to a user existing on the DB it fails and goes to the error page. Creating a user likewise. I am disabling the custom errors now as we speak to get more information http://www.pointblankgym.com
    Wednesday, August 30, 2006 9:09 AM
  • User-105791088 posted

With custom errors off the message is

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Source Error:

Line 4:  
    Line 5:  	void Application_Start(object sender, EventArgs e) {
    Line 6:  		if (!Roles.RoleExists("Administrators")) Roles.CreateRole("Administrators");
    Line 7:  	}
    Line 8:  	

It looks like I need to creat roles on the db using the webadmin. I didn't do this already as I thought the roles were created by the starter kit. Is there a how to doc to do this anywhere?
    Wednesday, August 30, 2006 9:16 AM
  • User523970105 posted

Sorry, but I don't think that you're reading the error message correctly.  The code was attempting to automatically create an Administrator role, but could not connect to the database.

I suspect that your connection string to the database is not correct.  You need to check with your hosting company to find out what the connection string should be.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 12:42 PM
  • User523970105 posted

Sorry, but I don't think that you're reading the error message correctly.  The code was attempting to automatically create an Administrator role, but could not connect to the database.

I suspect that your connection string to the database is not correct.  You need to check with your hosting company to find out what the connection string should be.

Keep in mind that the clubsite starter kit defines two connection strings - one for  ClubSiteDB and one of LocalSqlServer.  When moving from VWD to a hosting company you need to update both strings.  Perhaps you didn't update LocalSqlServer?

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 12:48 PM
  • User-105791088 posted
    That might be it alright I never updated any LocalSqlServer connection string afaik. Is that in the web.config as well? I can't seem to see it.
    Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:28 PM
  • User523970105 posted

That might be it alright I never updated any LocalSqlServer connection string afaik. Is that in the web.config as well? I can't seem to see it.

I'm still fairly new to all this, so if I lead you astray it's with the best of intentions. [*-)]

You are correct that the default local installation will not define a LocalSqlServer connection string in web.config.  I had to create one to make everything work with GoDaddy.com.   There is an excellent walkthrough for GoDaddy at this thread http://forums.asp.net/thread/1220730.aspx.  Even if you aren't with GoDaddy, you might be able to glean enough from this to help with your hosting company.  I also suggest that you search this forum for "ConnectionString".

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 2:42 PM
  • User-105791088 posted

when I tried adding the localsqlserver connection I got a different error complaining about the version of something. I don't think this is it either. There is a set up doc I used for a different club starter kit that got me through a lot of these issues before but I can't find it. ANybody know it? It lists some text to add to the web.config........

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 7:28 PM
  • User-105791088 posted
    I noticed there is no record in the aspnet_Applications table either, should there be?
    Wednesday, August 30, 2006 7:36 PM
  • User-105791088 posted

Tried adding the applicationname, I think this is the issue, and got this error -

The 'System.Web.Security.SqlRoleProvider' requires a database schema compatible with schema version '1'.  However, the current database schema is not compatible with this version.  You may need to either install a compatible schema with aspnet_regsql.exe (available in the framework installation directory), or upgrade the provider to a newer version.

Any1 got any ideas?

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 8:02 PM
  • User-105791088 posted

Sorted it out in the end up the issue was I hadn't run aspnet_regsql.exe on the remote db, so feeling a little silly now, but thanks for the help anyone that contributed.

Friday, September 1, 2006 6:56 AM