Unhandled Exception with NMTopUsers Expert on Windows 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• Howdy,

On two seperate Windows 2003 servers (one R2 the other R1) I've installed: NM3.4, the Top Users Expert v2.2 as well as MS ChartVisualizations.

NM 3.4 seems to be capturing and saving files just fine.  However, when I go to launch the NMTopUsers expert, it prompts for a new capture file (I expected it to prompt for an existing file but maybe I'm missing something).  I enter a new file name and click OK.  The expert loads and almost immediately dies with an Unhandled Exception "Unable to load DLL 'NmApi.DLL': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E).

Anyone seen this before?

Thanks for your help!

G

Thursday, October 27, 2011 6:17 PM

Answers

• Hi G,

If you run experts from a live capture, they will ask you to save the trace out first (even if you've already saved it out) before running.  If you want to run multiple experts on a capture, we'd recommend opening up that capture again after saving, as then they'll all work off of the saved trace.  This is because we pass the data to experts via the capture file so they run outside of Network Monitor.

As for why the Expert is crashing; I'm not too sure.  You may want to try making sure you have the latest versions of both the expert and the parsers from http://nmparsers.codeplex.com/.  The installer should prevent you from mismatching architectures, but make sure you download either the x86 or x64 packages based on your computer's configuration.  The last thing to check would be that in the Program Files\Microsoft Network Monitor 3 directory you see the nmapi.dll file there and that this path is still in your environment's path (I believe performing a repair on the Network Monitor 3.4 item in the control panel should solve this).

Thanks,

Michael Hawker | Program Manager | Network Monitor
    • Marked as answer by Gbarker121 Friday, October 28, 2011 7:30 PM
    Friday, October 28, 2011 7:11 PM

All replies

• Hi G,

If you run experts from a live capture, they will ask you to save the trace out first (even if you've already saved it out) before running.  If you want to run multiple experts on a capture, we'd recommend opening up that capture again after saving, as then they'll all work off of the saved trace.  This is because we pass the data to experts via the capture file so they run outside of Network Monitor.

As for why the Expert is crashing; I'm not too sure.  You may want to try making sure you have the latest versions of both the expert and the parsers from http://nmparsers.codeplex.com/.  The installer should prevent you from mismatching architectures, but make sure you download either the x86 or x64 packages based on your computer's configuration.  The last thing to check would be that in the Program Files\Microsoft Network Monitor 3 directory you see the nmapi.dll file there and that this path is still in your environment's path (I believe performing a repair on the Network Monitor 3.4 item in the control panel should solve this).

Thanks,

• Marked as answer by Gbarker121 Friday, October 28, 2011 7:30 PM
    Friday, October 28, 2011 7:11 PM
  • That was it.  The sequence that finally worked for me (There may be others):

-Ceate the trace

-Close NM

-Open NM and reopen the trace

-launch the expert.

Problem solved.  A little intuitivly challenging but it works.

Thanks!

Geoffrey 

Friday, October 28, 2011 7:33 PM
  • Hi Geoffrey,

Glad to hear you're up and running again.  Does it work if you don't close NM and just re-open the trace?

Thanks,

Friday, October 28, 2011 7:48 PM
  • It does.  I think that's the unintuitive step that caught me.

If I run a capture, save it and immediately try to run the expert, I get the prompt for a new capture file followed by the error I described in my first post.  This happens even though the capture file I just saved looks like it is still loaded and 'open'.  Now, If I don't close NM and just 're-open' my already opened trace (to my way of thinking), everthing works as it should. 

A weird secquence but for a free product, I can get used to it :)

Thanks again for the help,

G

Friday, October 28, 2011 8:47 PM