none
Microsof MSN Flight Data Recorder Driver Uses All Non-Paged Memory RRS feed

• Question

• Every few days the non-paged pool on our Windows 2008 Terminal Server is exhausted with poolmon.exe showing the memory has been allocated against tag FDRo. I've searched the drivers folder and found the tag exists in SYSTRACE.SYS which appears to be part of the Software Certification Toolkit. The toolkit has been uninstalled but the driver remains. Is it ok to manually uninstall the driver or could it be in use by something else?
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 12:35 PM

All replies

• I have established that the Software Certification Toolkit installs SYSTRACE.SYS when its 'Strider Flight Data Recorder' service is first started. SYSTRACE.SYS is not even present in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS until you start that service. So obviously it is the Software Certification Toolkit that is installing that driver.

And yes, the uninstallation routine for that toolkit doesn't uninstall SYSTRACE.SYS, so you're stuck with it unless you manually rename SYSTRACE.SYS to stop it being loaded the next time you boot... I have tried doing that and it seems to work (you get an error event in the System event log telling you the driver could not be loaded, but that's all).

Friday, July 9, 2010 2:12 PM