Application Provisioning RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have created an application id using HV App Manager.
    1. Can I assume that this App Id is, by default, a MASTER Id?
    2. If not, then what are the details to be sent to hvappid@microsoft.com to do it?
    3. Also, do I need to follow the above process for even pre-prod environment?

Thanks in advance.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 7:08 AM

Answers

•  For single-practice system:
    1. What's the significance of a master id when we have seperate child ids and seperate certificate for each child id?

(CWhite)  In this scenario, the application provider (you) holds the credentials for the master app.  When a practice buys your system, you use your master app credentials to provision a new child app for that site.  The cert and app-id created in that process will live at the installation at the practice.  They will not have access to the master cert and app-id, and hence will not be able to provision applications.  

For multi-physician or multi-practice online service:
    1. How do I establish a connection to the patient now? (Can I capture the child app id at Provisioner.AddApplication(offlineConnection, appInfo); If yes, how?)

(CWhite) Hmmm... Not 100% sure I know what you mean here.  
        You can capture the child app id from Provisioner.AddApplication [It's the return value...]
        To establish a connection to a patient... You have to do the same thing you would with any other HealthVault app.  There's nothing specific to the master/child scenario about it.  If it's a backend clinical system, you would likely send them through the Direct to Clinical workflow 
        http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/healthvault/cc507205.aspx or http://www.codeplex.com/HealthVaultD2C 
        If it's a standard web app with a patient facing front end, you would send them through the standard Shell redirect interface.  (Take a look at how HelloWorld in the SDK sample apps does it.)

2. Where can I view the child applications that I've created? 
        Currently you can't.  You need to manage them with code.
    3. Why is the child application not visible in the master application's configuration portal?  
        This is just a tools gap right now.  You need to manage child applications through code.
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 4:51 PM

All replies

• hi there :

By default the applicaiton is not a master app. To make your application master app, please send an email to hvappid with your App Id and reason to become a master application (we just want to point you to correct direction, its ok to just ask this permission to try the functionality).

Yes, you have to follow this process for the PPE.

Hope this helps.

regards,
    Vaibhav

SDE | Developers and Partners Program | Health Vault | Microsoft | http://healthblog.vitraag.com
    • Marked as answer by indmav1 Tuesday, December 16, 2008 4:06 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by indmav1 Tuesday, December 16, 2008 6:36 AM
    Monday, December 15, 2008 11:19 PM
  •  

Thanks Vaibhav for your quick response. I did expect that one needs only the app id since the cert information can be sent using the AppInfo class.

I have couple of more questions related to master-child scenario: (I did go through the article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/healthvault/cc451928.aspx.)

For single-practice system:
    1. What's the significance of a master id when we have seperate child ids and seperate certificate for each child id?

I understand that the certificate file created along with the master app id can be used by the child applns. I did go through your code sample (CreateChildApplication.cs) and I was able to create 2 child applications. Now:

1. How do I establish a connection to the patient now? (Can I capture the child app id at Provisioner.AddApplication(offlineConnection, appInfo); If yes, how?)
    3. Why is the child application not visible in the master application's configuration portal?

I think I may be missing the workflow for this scenario. A code snippet would also be useful. Thanks for your time.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 6:40 AM
  •  For single-practice system:

(CWhite)  In this scenario, the application provider (you) holds the credentials for the master app.  When a practice buys your system, you use your master app credentials to provision a new child app for that site.  The cert and app-id created in that process will live at the installation at the practice.  They will not have access to the master cert and app-id, and hence will not be able to provision applications.  

(CWhite) Hmmm... Not 100% sure I know what you mean here.  
        You can capture the child app id from Provisioner.AddApplication [It's the return value...]
        To establish a connection to a patient... You have to do the same thing you would with any other HealthVault app.  There's nothing specific to the master/child scenario about it.  If it's a backend clinical system, you would likely send them through the Direct to Clinical workflow 
        http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/healthvault/cc507205.aspx or http://www.codeplex.com/HealthVaultD2C 
        If it's a standard web app with a patient facing front end, you would send them through the standard Shell redirect interface.  (Take a look at how HelloWorld in the SDK sample apps does it.)

Currently you can't.  You need to manage them with code.
        This is just a tools gap right now.  You need to manage child applications through code.
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 4:51 PM