Power Pivot version 11.0.3000.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, 

I have heard lot of times from many that powerpivot version should match your sql server version. I dont know what exactly that means. Can someone please see my versions and tell me whether my versions are compatible?

SQL SERVER 2012

Power Pivot version image attached. 

Friday, February 7, 2014 9:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Murali,

In order to import a Power Pivot workbook into SSAS Tabular, the Tabular instance will need to be at the same compatibility level or later. Your screenshot shows that your Power Pivot version is at compatibility level 1103 which you can see from the first 4 digits (i.e. 11.0.3). If you want to be able to import a Power Pivot model created with this version of Power Pivot, your SQL Server Tabular instance will need to running service pack 1 (SP1 or later) which is also at compatibility level 1103. A SQL Server Tabular instance running on a compatibility level lower than 1103 will most likely be unable to read the model contained in any Power Pivot workbooks created in the version of Power Pivot that you've shown above.

If you're simply querying your SQL Server 2012 database to load data into your model and are not planning to import the Power Pivot model into SSAS Tabular, then the compatibility level is less important.

You can read more about compatibility levels here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj674204.aspx

Hope this helps,

Michael

• Edited by Michael Amadi Saturday, February 8, 2014 12:28 AM minor edit
    • Marked as answer by Murali dhar Sunday, February 9, 2014 6:58 AM
    Saturday, February 8, 2014 12:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Murali,

In order to import a Power Pivot workbook into SSAS Tabular, the Tabular instance will need to be at the same compatibility level or later. Your screenshot shows that your Power Pivot version is at compatibility level 1103 which you can see from the first 4 digits (i.e. 11.0.3). If you want to be able to import a Power Pivot model created with this version of Power Pivot, your SQL Server Tabular instance will need to running service pack 1 (SP1 or later) which is also at compatibility level 1103. A SQL Server Tabular instance running on a compatibility level lower than 1103 will most likely be unable to read the model contained in any Power Pivot workbooks created in the version of Power Pivot that you've shown above.

If you're simply querying your SQL Server 2012 database to load data into your model and are not planning to import the Power Pivot model into SSAS Tabular, then the compatibility level is less important.

You can read more about compatibility levels here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj674204.aspx

Hope this helps,

Michael

• Edited by Michael Amadi Saturday, February 8, 2014 12:28 AM minor edit
    • Marked as answer by Murali dhar Sunday, February 9, 2014 6:58 AM
    Saturday, February 8, 2014 12:26 AM
  • Thanks Michael. 
    Sunday, February 9, 2014 6:58 AM
  • No problem :)
    Sunday, February 9, 2014 9:19 PM