Transactional Replication through ftp between SQL server 2005 and SQL server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I trying to replicate between sql server 2005 as publisher and SQL server 2008 as publisher .Both the servers are different domain say NY,LA.Is it possible to replicate like this ? Where we can keep the snapshot folder (is it same as default D:...\Repldata)?Can some please suggest the steps ?It is really urgent.

Sunday, December 26, 2010 6:53 PM

All replies

• The easiest way to achieve this is to use SQL Authentication along with Push Subscription , using Push subscription you can keep the snapshot files locally on the Distributor (good if both Publisher and Distributor are the same box) and using SQL authentication (along with TCP/IP protocol for connectivity) will avoid any cross domain authentication/connectivity issues

HOW TO: Replicate Between Computers Running SQL Server in Non-Trusted Domains or Across the Internet

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321822

Regards Rishi Maini
    Monday, December 27, 2010 8:04 AM
  • Rishi,

thanks ..But We cannot use push subscription,since our publisher has heavy load ..Because of some security issues we can only use ftp. I configure the publisher with windows account but I am unable to connect the sql 2008 subscriber in different domain.I did parameter change in  FTP snapshot tab in publication propeties.But still we have probelm ..keeping ftp rootfolder as snapshot folder (both distributer,publisher in same box)...can you suggest some ideas.

• Edited by BijuN Tuesday, January 4, 2011 4:46 PM
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 9:17 PM
  • Make sure that you are able to ping your Subscriber by name from the distributor box, if not add the IP address to the host file so that you are able to bind the subscriber IP to the subscriber box name, make sure telnet to the port on which subscriber is listening is working fine (no firewalls or at least SQL port should be open across the firewall). Once the connectivity from Distributor to Subscriber is working fine , replication setup from there should be straight forward .

Regards Rishi Maini
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 9:00 AM
  • I did the tran repl successfully ..So now everything working perfectily.

Thanks for your help.

Biju

Monday, January 3, 2011 7:24 PM