none
Long term recording disk space issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Is there a solution to save disk space when recording streams using kinect studio from kinect v 2.

I want to use the kinect for long term monitoring in healthcare, but the disk space is a real issue if the recording lasts for hours?

Any feedback regarding this issue.

Thanks

Belkacem

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 7:26 PM

Answers

• To keep data volume to a minimum, you'll likely want to record from your own application and save only what you need. As far as I understand Kinect studio is not aimed at long term recording.

To give an idea. IR + depth + body + color typically costs about 1Mb (lossy) to 2Mb (lossless). I suspect can squeeze down to 500K lossy with suitable filters for IR and depth while keeping cleanish data.

If you don't need all this data e.g. only need selected frames and/or parts of the frames the figures reduce further.

At 1Mb/frame 30fps its 1.8Gb/minute = 108Gb/hour so room for 24hrs  on a 3Tb drive!

If doing compression, filtering etc. need to be aware getting best results can get cpu/gpu heavy so don't expect all scenarios to be viable on just any Kinect 2 capable device.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 11:26 AM

All replies

• To keep data volume to a minimum, you'll likely want to record from your own application and save only what you need. As far as I understand Kinect studio is not aimed at long term recording.

To give an idea. IR + depth + body + color typically costs about 1Mb (lossy) to 2Mb (lossless). I suspect can squeeze down to 500K lossy with suitable filters for IR and depth while keeping cleanish data.

If you don't need all this data e.g. only need selected frames and/or parts of the frames the figures reduce further.

At 1Mb/frame 30fps its 1.8Gb/minute = 108Gb/hour so room for 24hrs  on a 3Tb drive!

If doing compression, filtering etc. need to be aware getting best results can get cpu/gpu heavy so don't expect all scenarios to be viable on just any Kinect 2 capable device.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 11:26 AM
  • Thank you for these details. I'll do that.

Belkacem

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 3:55 PM
  • Sorry, but I'm confused: from the slide of "Recordable Data Sources" diagram I deduce that recording all the sources altogether sums to IR(13MB/s)+Audio(32KB/s)+Depth(13MB/s)+Color(120MB/s)=~146MB/s. That is ~525GB/hr. That's a staggering number which I can't make sense of - Blue Ray movies of ~2hrs don't require about 1TB of storage... How did we get to the 2Mb figure above (which makes a whole lot of sense)? What am I missing here?

Thanks !

Guy

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 9:13 PM