How to create a valid XPS file with vector art in Expression Design 4 RRS feed

• Question

• I have Expression Design version 4.0.20516.0 running on Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.

It is my understanding that XML Paper Specification Documents (XPS) are a subset of XAML and support vector graphics in addition to certain forms of rastor graphics. What I would like to be able to do is create a XPS file with vector graphics from a drawing in Microsoft Expression Blend.

To attempt to do this I created a blank canvas and drew a simple square with a blue fill. Then I wanted to export (or save as ) in vector XPS format. Under File. Export: XPS is not listed as a supported format.

Since this is Windows 7 Ultimate, XPS support in the form of a printer driver is baked into the OS. When I select File. Print the Microsoft XPS Document Writer gives me the choice of rendering the square as either JPG or PNG. What I want is native XPS vector graphics as described in this MSDN Magazine article:

A First Look at APIs For Creating XML Paper Specification Documents http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc163664.aspx

Further when I do save the XPS document using the default settings and then attempt to open it in Microsoft Word 2010 (64 bit), Word complains that the document is corrupt and refuses to open it.

Does anyone know of a fix/ add-in/ workaround that will allow me to create a vector based XPS file from an Expression Design drawing?

Thursday, November 25, 2010 10:25 AM

All replies

• Not sure how clean will be the output, but you can export from Design to PDF (the pdf will be vectorial) and then from adobe reader or any other pdf viewer print the .pdf to the .xps printer

Thursday, November 25, 2010 1:38 PM