Guidelines for publishing / migrating apps built for WP7.1 apps to WP8 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have the following questions regarding publishing / migrating apps built for  WP7.1 apps to WP8.

1. I understand that most of 7.1 apps will run in WP8 without any modification, but what I noticed is that when WP7.1 apps runs in WP8 its leaves a blank bar ( about 80 pixel) at the top. Now if I migrate the project in VS12 to WP8 then this blank bar is gone.  I don't want to re-work all the UI of WP7.1 apps and want to focus on new WP7.1 or WP8 apps. So how do I submit a recompiled WP8 versions of my existing apps? Can I submit it as an app update in the  Developer dashboard or should I submit it as a new app
    2. Can I maintain a WP7.1 version and a WP8 version of the same app
    3. How do I restrict my WP7.1 to run only in WP7.1 because, by default its now supported in WP7.1 and WP8

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Moved by Eric Fleck Thursday, November 8, 2012 4:53 PM App Update publishing question (From:Developing for Windows Phone)
    Sunday, November 4, 2012 12:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

With the new AppHub you can submit different Xap for the same same App targeting different OS (say 7.0, 7.1, 7.8/8). As long as your application doesn't contain a feature which is specific only for WP8 you can compile the same code base and deploy under respective xap while submitting an upgrade for your application. Otherwise you can have different code base if you still want to support 7.1. 

Thanks and Regards

Nishant Rana

[url=http://nishantcop.blogspot.com/]MyBlog[/url] - [url=http://www.nishantcop.com]Facebook[/url] - [url=http://goo.gl/7HKuW]My Apps[/url] - Mark post as answer if you find this post as a solution, to help others.

• Marked as answer by Eric Fleck Thursday, November 8, 2012 4:51 PM
    Monday, November 5, 2012 6:06 AM
  • If you create and maintain a 7.1 and 8.x version in Windows Phone Store, only the appropriate version will show up on a user's phone.  Once the 8.x version is certified and published, Windows Phone 8 devices will only be able to download that version. If the user had installed a 7.1 version of your application, he should be given an "update available" notice on his phone allowing him to update to the 8.x version.

The only question would be how a Windows Phone search would be handled from a PC that the user uses to download and install applications to his phone. 

Monday, November 5, 2012 8:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

With the new AppHub you can submit different Xap for the same same App targeting different OS (say 7.0, 7.1, 7.8/8). As long as your application doesn't contain a feature which is specific only for WP8 you can compile the same code base and deploy under respective xap while submitting an upgrade for your application. Otherwise you can have different code base if you still want to support 7.1. 

Thanks and Regards

Nishant Rana

[url=http://nishantcop.blogspot.com/]MyBlog[/url] - [url=http://www.nishantcop.com]Facebook[/url] - [url=http://goo.gl/7HKuW]My Apps[/url] - Mark post as answer if you find this post as a solution, to help others.

Monday, November 5, 2012 6:06 AM
  • Thanks for the details.

To clarify, If I maintain a 7.1 and 8.0 version of XAP, which version of XAP does a WP8 user gets? Does both version show up in WP8 market place?  Should the developer make any entry in the AppManifest that it should only run in 7.1 so that it won't show up in the WP8 market place?

Regards

Monday, November 5, 2012 8:05 AM
  • If you create and maintain a 7.1 and 8.x version in Windows Phone Store, only the appropriate version will show up on a user's phone.  Once the 8.x version is certified and published, Windows Phone 8 devices will only be able to download that version. If the user had installed a 7.1 version of your application, he should be given an "update available" notice on his phone allowing him to update to the 8.x version.

The only question would be how a Windows Phone search would be handled from a PC that the user uses to download and install applications to his phone. 

Monday, November 5, 2012 8:13 AM
  • If you create and maintain a 7.1 and 8.x version in Windows Phone Store, only the appropriate version will show up on a user's phone.  Once the 8.x version is certified and published, Windows Phone 8 devices will only be able to download that version. 

Sorry, but that's not true.

The WP7 version of my app "Week View" has version number 2.3.
    I published a WP8 version, called "Week View 8" and submitted it as an update of the WP7 version, so users that bought the WP7 version can get the WP8 version for free.
    For the WP8 version (which is a different .xap of course) i assigned version number "1.0", when submitting it in the marketplace (since it is the first WP8 version).

Problem: The WP8 version was never listed in the store and users did not get it as an update option. It was not even found, when searching for it in marketplace although in app hub it was listed as "published". 

I fixed an issue an submitted version 1.1 => It still did not show up in the marketplace.

Finally i changed the version number to "8.0" and after the next submission it finally was visible in the marketplace and users got an update notification. This means, it took 2 weeks to get a completed version to the store, really annoying. :/

One more thing to consider: If your WP7 version supports localizations that the WP8 version does not support, the update is not visible for the WP8 users that use a WP7 version with a localization that is not supported in the WP8 version - which in this case might be a good thing.

A tutorial from MS, "things to consider, when updating your WP7 version" would have been really helpful, describing the algorithm used by the marketplace, which version is shown to a user.

regards,
    Hannes

• Edited by HannesBiri Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:20 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Medality Monday, April 15, 2013 3:27 PM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:17 AM
  • If you create and maintain a 7.1 and 8.x version in Windows Phone Store, only the appropriate version will show up on a user's phone.  Once the 8.x version is certified and published, Windows Phone 8 devices will only be able to download that version. 

Sorry, but that's not true.

The WP7 version of my app "Week View" has version number 2.3.
    I published a WP8 version, called "Week View 8" and submitted it as an update of the WP7 version, so users that bought the WP7 version can get the WP8 version for free.
    For the WP8 version (which is a different .xap of course) i assigned version number "1.0", when submitting it in the marketplace (since it is the first WP8 version).

Problem: The WP8 version was never listed in the store and users did not get it as an update option. It was not even found, when searching for it in marketplace although in app hub it was listed as "published". 

I fixed an issue an submitted version 1.1 => It still did not show up in the marketplace.

Finally i changed the version number to "8.0" and after the next submission it finally was visible in the marketplace and users got an update notification. This means, it took 2 weeks to get a completed version to the store, really annoying. :/

One more thing to consider: If your WP7 version supports localizations that the WP8 version does not support, the update is not visible for the WP8 users that use a WP7 version with a localization that is not supported in the WP8 version - which in this case might be a good thing.

A tutorial from MS, "things to consider, when updating your WP7 version" would have been really helpful, describing the algorithm used by the marketplace, which version is shown to a user.

regards,
    Hannes

hi, i got same problem, do you  find a right way to do this?  instead of a 8.0.0.0 version....

thanks!

Jim

I'm a device.

Sunday, April 14, 2013 6:34 PM

• hi, i got same problem, do you  find a right way to do this?  instead of a 8.0.0.0 version....

thanks!

Jim

More recent posts show that the Windows Phone 8 version has to have a version number that is greater than the Windows Phone 7 version.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 6:14 AM