none
Deploy a Office 2010 targeted Addin to Office 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I've been reading a lot of articles posted here and elsewhere regarding deployment of addins on both Office 2010 and 2007.
    But I still can't seem to get it right.

I have a Word addin, that is targeting Office 2010. Built in Visual Studio 2010 with .net 4.0. (Uses the ribbon, custom group with button).
    Most of our customers run Office 2010. But we do have some Office 2007 users and I would like to use the same solution\setup for deployment. 

According to this arcticle (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb772080.aspx), my scenario should work on a Office 2007 system.

The thing is, the addin installs without problems\errors on both systems. But the addin itself only runs on Office 2010.
    In Office 2007 it never loads properly. No errors, no log, just won't start. (I have enabled the vsto log variables, no log file generated).

In Office 2007 Options -> addins. The status of the addin is allways "Removed", no mater what. In the registry the LoadBehavior is set to 3, but when I start Office it is set to 0. 

I've also tried to remove the version 14.0 Word.Interop dlls, and add the version 12.0 dlls, and recompile to see if I've been using Office 2010 specific functions. And it worked just fine with version 12.00 dlls, but still, only on a Offcie 2010 system, will not load on 2007.

What am I doing wrong here? Is this even possible to acchieve?

Thanks! 

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• Check if machines with office 2007 have latest service pack and hotfixes - most probably your add-in registers itself in HKLM branch to be available for everyone and office 2007 supports this only from some hotfix onward

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976811

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976477/

SP3 should already have this.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:42 PM
  • Thank you !

I installed the SP3, and it did not work. Then I read the kb 976811 article, where it says that you need to enable the hotfix after installing sp3.

And that needs to be done in the registry. Need to add a new DWord key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\General\
    called EnableLocalMachineVSTO.

This will be too much work if we have to do this on all machines manualy. And too advanced for our customers to handle.

Is it safe to add this key in the setup project of the addin?

Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:01 AM
  • Hi Nedim Erkocevic

And that needs to be done in the registry. Need to add a new DWord key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\General\

Does the registry things work? My addin still  show 'removed'  status in com addin form.

Saturday, March 17, 2012 8:23 AM
  • yes, it is safe to add it to your setup project.
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 9:52 PM
  • Hi Nedim Erkocevic

Does the registry things work? My addin still  show 'removed'  status in com addin form.

Yeah it does. After you create the EnableLocalMachineVSTO key, you need to set its value to 1, not 0. (0 is disabled, 1 is enabled).
    Sunday, March 18, 2012 9:27 PM
  • Thank you very much!
    Saturday, June 2, 2012 1:08 PM