none
End user slowness issues RRS feed

• Question

• I am a tech at a company that uses VFP in windows XP mode for all kinds of stuff. Basically we have a user here who works in our accounting/customer service dept and for the majority of the day uses the application for this very purpose (Accounting, Order lookup/history, Customer Account/History, Payments etc). With that being said this user has continually complained of running into problems when using the app the most common being "extreme slowness when typing data entry for order/account lookup" it appears as the user will type a character and have about a 20-30ms delay before it appears on the screen. Lastly we have also noticed that when going to print from the app there is a long delay and when the print job does start it will either spew out blank paper and then the correct document or sometimes blank and cancel the job. I know this is a lot of information but if anyone has any thoughts/more questions for better insight please let me know Thank you! 
    Wednesday, September 19, 2018 4:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Robert,

I don't know any reason why a VFP app would have to run in XP Mode?!?!?

Are you sure that it isn't an old FoxPro 2.* (!!without VISUAL!!) solution? If it's indeed an app designed with VFP, did you try without XP Mode?

OTOH, you tell us that this specific single user is the only one having problems. This gives me the opportunity to offer you every little bit of 'all because of windows' problems that ever occured in this forums ;))))

So lets start with..

- Antivirus not configured properly

- Firewall not configured properly

- DNS not configured properly

- Network-drivers noch installed correctly

- Printer drivers not installed correctly

- Graphic drivers not installed correctly

- a.s.o.

So, to me this seems as you'll have to check the users windows config in detail ;)

JM2C

Gruss / Best regards
    -Tom
    Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
    Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible,
    you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it. 010101100100011001010000011110000101001001101111011000110110101101110011

Thursday, September 20, 2018 11:10 AM
  • Beside what Tom suggested, also check that the user has full privilege (access) to read/write into the temporary directory. I keep finding most of my clients have that problem, more so since Windows keeps updating very often.
    Thursday, September 20, 2018 2:31 PM
  • Beyond what the others said, make sure that the path set in the application doesn't include any drives that aren't accessible when this user is running.

Tamar

Thursday, September 20, 2018 8:14 PM