Backup Azure Storage RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently trialling Red Gate Cloud services to create backup/sync jobs of our Table storage, the maximum retention range is 365 days.

I have searched and the only options I can find are similar sync jobs to different storage accounts.

What options are people  using for backing up this data so that it can be retained for auditing purposes indefinitely?

Monday, September 22, 2014 10:46 PM

Answers

• I've built in a table exporter in my projects that will gather the table's TableEntity objects and then re-serialize them into XML.  I compress that into a ZIP that I store as a blob, named with the run date/time. 

I can then download the individual blobs when I want/need, and store them locally.  (I also built a tool that does the download and test-extracting, hashing of the zip to verify their validity to ensure the data is intact.  ZIP is pretty good for my data, offering sometimes 80% compression on the XML text.

When the data set gets larger as people add data, I'll also be able to go incremental by looking at the timestamps.

For you though, it really depends on how many tables, how many items are in the tables, how much data in total, etc.

Darin R.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 6:18 PM

All replies

• hi Michael,

Thanks for your posting!

For this issue, I recommend you could refer to Gaurav's post (http://stackoverflow.com/a/11564733 ) about this issue.

For Azure storage service, Microsoft Azure support some backup or data replication options, such as LRS,ZRS,GRS and RA-GRS, I suggest you could refer to those page (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/dn727290.aspx ).

Regards,

Will

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 7:25 AM
  • I've built in a table exporter in my projects that will gather the table's TableEntity objects and then re-serialize them into XML.  I compress that into a ZIP that I store as a blob, named with the run date/time. 

I can then download the individual blobs when I want/need, and store them locally.  (I also built a tool that does the download and test-extracting, hashing of the zip to verify their validity to ensure the data is intact.  ZIP is pretty good for my data, offering sometimes 80% compression on the XML text.

When the data set gets larger as people add data, I'll also be able to go incremental by looking at the timestamps.

For you though, it really depends on how many tables, how many items are in the tables, how much data in total, etc.

Darin R.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 6:18 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Darin,

Yeah at this stage we are using Red Gate that schedules the backup job of a zipped copy of the Table to a Blob in a secondary Storage Account.

The maximum retention period for that is 365 days, I guess the easiest option is just to download these to store them for archiving and auditing purposes.

Was hoping for an off the shelf product that can do this, and even better an option to integrate with standard enterprise backup solutions.

Friday, September 26, 2014 11:37 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, I will investigate the links and the Cerebrata product.
    Friday, September 26, 2014 11:40 AM
  • hi Michael,

I will mark this this thread as answer,if you find it no help,please fell free to unmark.
    Thanks!
    Will

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 1:59 AM