Dynamic Data : Should I worry? Should we? RRS feed

Answers

• User-330204900 posted

I to am disappointed that DD is not there.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, May 13, 2011 4:12 PM
  • User660823006 posted

We are in the process of redesigning the ASP.NET web site and lots of the older material is no longer available on the site, this by no means we have removed support for anything. For example the Ajax tab is no longer on the site but we are not removing support for Ajax. As you can see we have a new video that will be online in the next few weeks that targets Dynamic Data and we are in the process of adding another series of contents to the site (we call them third level pages), when they do some of the older material will show back up.

We also have shown new features for the next Framework that will enhance Dynamic Data at the Mix confrence (http://channel9.msdn.com/events/MIX/MIX11/FRM15). This new Model Binder features leverages heavily on Dynamic Data so you will see us continue to invest in these areas.

Friday, May 13, 2011 4:26 PM

All replies

• User1043796333 posted
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/marcinon/archive/2008/05/22/dynamic-data-samples.aspx
    Keeping my eye on the dot

Dynamic Data samples

22 May 2008 1:10 PM

In breaks between writing the Dynamic Data runtime I also write samples illustrating the various ways Dynamic Data can be extended and customized, often in response to questions on the Dynamic Data forum. In a series of upcoming posts I will share these samples with you as well as discuss how the various extensions work with the Dynamic Data runtime. This post is meant to serve as a list of the samples:

The list will be updated with links as samples become available.

<textarea id="ctl00_content_ctl00_w_27864__a682e5_ctl00_ctl15_ctl01_Tags" style="width: 97%; height: 100%;" rows="2" cols="30"></textarea>
    <input value="Select Tags..." type="button" /> <input value="Save" type="button" /><input value="Cancel" type="button" />
    Can't it be solved? This is something somehow outrageous.
    • Cascading drop-down filter  _________ ****** STILL ON HOLD  SINCE 22 May 2008 1:10 PM  *********
     <input name="ctl00$content$ctl00$w_27864$_a682e5$ctl00$ctl15$ctl02" id="ctl00_content_ctl00_w_27864__a682e5_ctl00_ctl15_ctl02_State" value="value:%3Ca%20href%3D%22http%3A%2F%2Fblogs.msdn.com%2Fb%2Fmarcinon%2Farchive%2Ftags%2FASP-NET%2BDynamic%2BData%2F%22%20rel%3D%22tag%22%3EASP.NET%20Dynamic%20Data%3C%2Fa%3E%2C%20%3Ca%20href%3D%22http%3A%2F%2Fblogs.msdn.com%2Fb%2Fmarcinon%2Farchive%2Ftags%2Fsamples%2F%22%20rel%3D%22tag%22%3Esamples%3C%2Fa%3E" type="hidden" />
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 2:36 AM
  • User1043796333 posted

I've been working heavily with Dynamic Data and I'm a little disappointed regarding my decision in using it as my development tool

This morning I found out that the ASP.Net official web site has been redesigned and ... SURPRISE ... Dynamic Data is not there now

(http://www.asp.net/web-forms) except for a very brief mention of a free of charge PluralSight leaning material 8. Using ASP.NET Dynamic Data
    (coming soon)

So I go back to my original question "

Dynamic Data : Should I worry? Should we?"

and I'd really like to know if we are heading the right way with Dynamic Data ... OR NOT!

Can someone please seriously answer?

Friday, May 13, 2011 1:03 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

I to am disappointed that DD is not there.

Friday, May 13, 2011 4:12 PM
  • User660823006 posted

We are in the process of redesigning the ASP.NET web site and lots of the older material is no longer available on the site, this by no means we have removed support for anything. For example the Ajax tab is no longer on the site but we are not removing support for Ajax. As you can see we have a new video that will be online in the next few weeks that targets Dynamic Data and we are in the process of adding another series of contents to the site (we call them third level pages), when they do some of the older material will show back up.

We also have shown new features for the next Framework that will enhance Dynamic Data at the Mix confrence (http://channel9.msdn.com/events/MIX/MIX11/FRM15). This new Model Binder features leverages heavily on Dynamic Data so you will see us continue to invest in these areas.

Friday, May 13, 2011 4:26 PM
  • User1043796333 posted

Its nothing personal, its just that not that many people actually use Dynamic Data, and especially not in advanced scenarios.

The gridview (and infact all built in controls in asp.net webforms) are only designed to edit one record at a time.

The only solution I know (and it isn't Dynamic Data, just normal asp.net webforms) is the one Matt Berseth has come up. Its a nice solution that provides a fake/custom datasource that actually reads all the rows of a gridview and stores them itself in the interim and then you can pass that collection off to the database. Its basically tricking the GridView because it doesn't have built in support for this kind of thing:

Having seen some recent non-homogeneous opinions about Dynamic's Data future I'd like to bring back the attention to some past answers about it

I'd like to add that it is unpleasant asking about something which seems to have come to an end and which may be probably be said openly

Let's say it clearly: My guess is Dynamic Data was conceived as a helping tool for developers, only

The main indicator of this goes hand-by-hand with its lack of technical literature for non-easy scaffolding scenarios

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 8:56 AM
  • User-330204900 posted

I'd like to add that it is unpleasant asking about something which seems to have come to an end
    it has not come to an end any more than Silverligh has come to an end it's in ASP.Net 4 and will be in vNext so don't worry about it.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:33 AM
  • User660823006 posted

Just to chime in here, we will have some Dynamic Data enhancements coming in the next version of the frameworks. Mainly it will be enabled by default for all data controls when you use Model Binders (and MVC feature we are porting back to Web Forms). When using the model binder feature we will generate DynamicFields by default for the data controls and the user can use DynamicControl in any of the templates as well. We do this because it presents the best client/server validation story out of the box.

We will also have some new Data Annotation attributes for validating some other types. And of course the usual series of bug fixes and such.

One thing we are wokring on but not sure we can complete in time is support for complex objects (for example a Contact class that could contain an Address class for Home and Work addresses.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 11:57 PM
  • User1043796333 posted

Cascading for DataBound Controls will be a very good thing to have

I know Ajax has it too and it seems is the one used in MVC but in Dynamic Data we have learned to manage overriding the populating methods for these kind of controls and it should be good to have them in .Net releases as part of a new VS framework

I might be wrong but it seems the Visual Studio developers might have not realized that Dynamic Data is a great tool and that if there were more availability of tools and a better understanding for managing complex customizations for sure Dynamic Data will be even with MVC, maybe, I'm not sure because I don't know MVC butI wish

I say that because there is not much literature on these topics that when it comes to customizing it is understood that you must know a lot of probably unknown things for most of the people developing with Dynamic Data

Cascading is keystone for this

Also, managing the cycles and timing in which Dynamic Data does all its spinning wheel for databounding and rendering visual controls

Passing or sharing data among controls is also important

Ease in using delegates and events should be good too

Decomposing data contained in already displayed databound controls should be good to have

I know for sure that this already exists, in fact it does exist but in my case is like a sacred hidden book that could has been disclosed partially because of the help of many people in this forums, your help guys and of course Steve Naughton

Friday, July 22, 2011 12:19 AM
  • User660823006 posted

There is an example of cascading with Dynamic Data in the Prototype Samples that are available here: http://aspnet.codeplex.com/releases/view/54273. This is something that we would never be able to productize because we can't inher enough information automatically to do it correctly. We try to provide framework level support that abstractions can be built upon. Note, we don't do it in MVC either.

Oleg Sych has a great book on Dynamic Data coming out later this year that would be a great resource for someone trying to understand all the ins and outs of Dynamic Data and really push the envelope. I believe a beta version of the book will be available on the Oreilly website at somepoint and we will announce it here.

The Model Binding feature I mentioned in the next Framework will take alot of the magic of data binding away and you will be able to give us an object, we will populate the data controls and then we will give you the object back. You can then use the object with any data layer of your choice and not be forced to use the magic of DataSource controls.

Friday, July 22, 2011 12:28 AM
  • User1043796333 posted

Maybe it'll be good for you to know this scothu

http://1code.codeplex.com/discussions/266371

Some things hurt and this one specially does

Thursday, July 28, 2011 11:40 AM