none
Software issue with ".net framework" RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi, I am running Windows XP with (I think service pack 2). I recently bought a software package and when I tried to install it, it said that I need to install Microsoft .NET Framework for the software to work. The installation just stops flat - leaving me to try and install the .NET framework.

I've been trying to install it from the microsoft website by doing both an install from the site and downloading the file and installing it from the file. It goes about 80% and then just stops.

I now basically have software I can't use because of this issue and desperate to get it sorted. I am even considering buying a new laptop with Windows Vista - will that help or how can I sort it out?

Any help please

Thanks

Deon
    Fish Tank Aquariums
    • Changed type YiChun Chen Friday, April 24, 2009 3:56 AM Do not follow up
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 12:43 PM

All replies

• Hi dadeon

It is difficult to tell what the problem could be. Is there any error code or files that log the details of the error? If there are, could you please show them so it can be narrowed down. A lot of the time, installation requires certain permissions that your user account must have. The .NET Framework is one of these.

• Is your account an administrator account? You can check by going Start > Control Panel > User Accounts. If your user account's name has "Computer administrator" with it, then your account has administrator priveleges.
    • If you check the properties of a folder, is there are Security tab? If there is then you can check whether your User name has Full Control over access to the folders

Also, what other versions of the .NET Framework are there listed in the Add/Remove Programs menu? It may be that you need to remove them first in order to install the newer version. The computer may not let you uninstall these versions from that list. You can use the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool to uninstall previous versions, then install the version you're trying to install.

I would recommend you try to provide more details first before trying anything above.

Thanks,
    etisoppo
    Hobbyist programmer: VB.NET, C++, Pascal
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 1:25 PM
  • Thank you for Etisoppo's kindly help.

Hi Dadeon,

More clarification with you. Which .NET Framework do you want to install?

Please try Etisoppo's suggestions for the .NET Framework installation.

I want to clarify more.
    Also, what other versions of the .NET Framework are there listed in the Add/Remove Programs menu? It may be that you need to remove them first in order to install the newer version. The computer may not let you uninstall these versions from that list. You can use the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool to uninstall previous versions, then install the version you're trying to install.

I would recommend you try to provide more details first before trying anything above.
    Different versions of .NET Framework can work side by side. You don't need to remove older versions if they are required for the application in your machine.
    For more detail information, see: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/netfxsetup/thread/14f0f3d0-2632-4dbf-8573-f183f7a4e276/

If you still have any problem on installing .NET Framework, could you please try to help me to use collect tool to collect the log files of .NET Framework from your "%temp%" folder?
    http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2008/05/09/visual-studio-and-net-log-collection-utility.aspx

Then compress them into a zip file and post a link back. You can upload your log files to SkyDrive and post the link back here.

Steps:
    - Try to clean your "%temp%" folder
    - Install .NET Framework
    - Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:04 AM
  • Hi Dadeon,

We are changing the issue type to “Comment” because you have not followed up with the necessary information. If you have more time to look at the issue and provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to “Question” by editing your initial post and changing the radio button at the top of the post editor window. If the issue is resolved, we will appreciate it if you can share the solution so that the answer can be found and used by other community members having similar questions.

Thank you!
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 3:56 AM