none
Error Installing .net framework 4 RRS feed

• Question

• I've tried the regedit fix microsoft support has for my error code 0x080070643, but the directories on that were correct already, as well as my %temp%. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm fed up trying to get this to install. Oh, and I've also downloaded the standalone version, and,  the final version that downloads and installs from the installer, and neither work.

OS Version = 6.0.6002, Platform 2, Service Pack 2
    OS Description = Vista - x64 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 2
    CommandLine = C:\8bcc85bebcd952043990effb\\Setup.exe /x86 /x64 /ia64 /web
    TimeZone = Mountain Daylight Time
    Initial LCID = 1033
    Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism
    Operation: Installing
    Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup
    Package Version = 4.0.30319
    User Experience Data Collection Policy: Disabled
    Number of applicable items: 12
    Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x80070643), "Fatal error during installation. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:12:55).

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 5:55 AM

Answers

• Got it.
    Here's the bad news:

Returning IDOK. INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR [There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. Please refer to the setup log for more information. ]
    [7/11/2011, 19:46:39]MSI (C:\Users\Karlin\AppData\Local\Temp\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_4.0.30319\netfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20110711_193345426-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt
    [7/11/2011, 19:46:40]PerformOperation returned 1603 (translates to HRESULT = 0x80070643)
    [7/11/2011, 19:46:40] Action complete
    [7/11/2011, 19:46:40]OnFailureBehavior for this item is to Rollback.
    Action: Performing actions on all Items
    [7/11/2011, 19:46:40]

Looks like a Windows Installer issue.

One thing to try:

Unregister and then reregister Windows Installer
    <script type="text/javascript">// <![CDATA[ loadTOCNode(2, 'summary'); ]]></script> This action corrects most situations. Additionally, this action does not affect any currently installed programs that use the Windows Installer.
    1. Unregister Windows Installer. To do this, click Start, clickRun, type msiexec /unregister in the Open box, and then clickOK.
    2. Reregister Windows Installer. To do this, click click Start, clickRun, type msiexec /regserver in the Open box, and then clickOK.
    You can also try installing Windows Installer 4.5 (the latest for Vista) to see if that helps.
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=8483

Please remember to go through all these prep steps before each attempt.
    Check if there are any anti-virus or antispyware applications running. Make sure they are turned off during installation.
    •Complete or dismiss Windows Updates before installation (but turn on Windows Update service).
    •Clean up your “%temp%” folder (Start>>Run>>%temp%)
    •Run the setup file with Administrator privileges: Right-click the installer > Run as administrator.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:15 AM
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:21 PM
  • Hi Karlin,

Thank you for your post.

First, from your post, you have Windows Vista Service Pack 2, so Windows Installer 4.5 have already installed on your side.

Second, have you tried to install a standalone version ran as an administrator without any anti-virus or antispyware applications?

If it does not work, In this case, I would like to suggest you Backup your useful data>>Format your OS >>Reinstall OS >>Upgrade to Windows Vista Service Pack 2>>Install .NET Framework 4>>Install other software.
    Please check that you don't install any other software and any drivers after you have installed OS. Sometimes some software or drivers might cause the problem.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 7:35 AM

All replies

• In order to provide suggestions for your unique situation, responders will need to see your installation logs. Unfortunately the final result doesnt tell us much.

Please capture your logs with this tool:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=12493

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 1:37 PM
  • http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A1L07IC1

I couldn't get SkyDrive to work for some reason. I hope the megaupload works. Thanks for the help

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 4:21 PM
  • Got it.
    Here's the bad news:

Returning IDOK. INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR [There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. Please refer to the setup log for more information. ]
    [7/11/2011, 19:46:39]MSI (C:\Users\Karlin\AppData\Local\Temp\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_4.0.30319\netfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20110711_193345426-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt
    [7/11/2011, 19:46:40]PerformOperation returned 1603 (translates to HRESULT = 0x80070643)
    [7/11/2011, 19:46:40] Action complete
    [7/11/2011, 19:46:40]OnFailureBehavior for this item is to Rollback.
    Action: Performing actions on all Items
    [7/11/2011, 19:46:40]

Looks like a Windows Installer issue.

One thing to try:

Unregister and then reregister Windows Installer
    <script type="text/javascript">// <![CDATA[ loadTOCNode(2, 'summary'); ]]></script> This action corrects most situations. Additionally, this action does not affect any currently installed programs that use the Windows Installer.
    1. Unregister Windows Installer. To do this, click Start, clickRun, type msiexec /unregister in the Open box, and then clickOK.
    2. Reregister Windows Installer. To do this, click click Start, clickRun, type msiexec /regserver in the Open box, and then clickOK.
    You can also try installing Windows Installer 4.5 (the latest for Vista) to see if that helps.
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=8483

Please remember to go through all these prep steps before each attempt.
    Check if there are any anti-virus or antispyware applications running. Make sure they are turned off during installation.
    •Complete or dismiss Windows Updates before installation (but turn on Windows Update service).
    •Clean up your “%temp%” folder (Start>>Run>>%temp%)
    •Run the setup file with Administrator privileges: Right-click the installer > Run as administrator.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:21 PM
  • I tried the unregister/reregister solution - didn't work. Same errors given when I attempt to install.

Tried the standalone installer for Windows Installer 4.5, and it gives me "This update does not apply to your system". I downloaded the correct one for Vista 64, so I'm totally lost now. Something is corrupt I want to say

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 2:27 AM
  • Hi Karlin,

Thank you for your post.

First, from your post, you have Windows Vista Service Pack 2, so Windows Installer 4.5 have already installed on your side.

Second, have you tried to install a standalone version ran as an administrator without any anti-virus or antispyware applications?

If it does not work, In this case, I would like to suggest you Backup your useful data>>Format your OS >>Reinstall OS >>Upgrade to Windows Vista Service Pack 2>>Install .NET Framework 4>>Install other software.
    Please check that you don't install any other software and any drivers after you have installed OS. Sometimes some software or drivers might cause the problem.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 7:35 AM