External hard drive doesn't work after restarting

Question

• I have a WD passport external hard drive, and it worked fine when I first plugged it in, but after restarting, Windows 8 gave a "USB device malfunctioned" error, and the drive doesn't appear in My Computer. In device manager, it just shows "Unknown device" instead of my drive. I've tried uninstalling it from device manager, but that didn't help. The only thing that makes it work is unplugging it and plugging it in again (not something I want to do every time I start my computer).

When I turn on File History for the drive, it gives me a message after a few seconds to "Reconnect your file history drive". It does this even when I just connected it and it shows up in My computer.

Is there any way to fix this?

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:23 PM

Answers

• I thought the problem was with my laptop, at first, because the drive seemed to work fine on a different computer. But since another USB 3.0 hard drive worked fine on my laptop, I called WD support for more insight. Running the WD diagnostics software showed that my external drive was defective, and since it was still under warrenty I got a free replacement. The new drive works just fine, and I learned a few new things in the process.

• Edited by theodorejb Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:32 PM I was wrong about the problem
    • Marked as answer by theodorejb Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:32 PM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:55 PM

All replies

• TheTechFan,

Have you tried your WD passport external hard drive on different computer to make sure it is fully functional?   In your Device Manager under Universal Seral Bus controllers, is there any yellow exclamation point on any of those devices?

• Marked as answer by theodorejb Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:55 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by theodorejb Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:31 PM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:16 PM
    Answerer
  • I thought the problem was with my laptop, at first, because the drive seemed to work fine on a different computer. But since another USB 3.0 hard drive worked fine on my laptop, I called WD support for more insight. Running the WD diagnostics software showed that my external drive was defective, and since it was still under warrenty I got a free replacement. The new drive works just fine, and I learned a few new things in the process.

• Edited by theodorejb Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:32 PM I was wrong about the problem
    • Marked as answer by theodorejb Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:32 PM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:55 PM