none
4.5.2 appears blocked and stalled during install RRS feed

• Question

Need .Net Framework 4.5.2 for a Sketchup Make 2017 install.

Sketchup's installer tried to install it first. After getting hung up on the first install for hours and hours, it wouldn't even shut down when i tried to cancel. Rebooted laptop. Uninstalled and re-installed Sketchup's installer and tried again. Same thing. Sketchup support sent me to MS support where I tried to install 4.5.2 from the web installer. Same thing, gets started and never finishes. Also, when I tried to DL the Offline installer, it gave me this message:"There is no language pack for the English version of this product. If you wish to install the language pack for a different language, please ......blah blah"

No error message ever shows up when I try these installs, it just sits there like its just taking an eternity to install. At least with the web installer, it let me terminate after sitting there a couple hours and not progressing. 

The registry shows that DWORD value is 378675 so 4.5.1 is installed. From reading support pages, it sounded possible that 4.5.1 was corrupted but ran sfc /scannow and it did not find any integrity violations.

Support pages tell me that it may be trying to install in Compatibility Mode, but when I try to find the folders its steering me to in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Persisted

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

those folders don't exist, so I cant delete them and try to re-install.

I ran the.Net Framework Log Collection Tool and have the log files in a %temp% folder but dont know what to do with them.

So I'm way over my head now and STUCK!

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 5:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Larry,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

.cab is the old one, currently, it is vslogs.zip file, please find this one under %temp% folder, upload it on Onedrive and share us the link here.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Larry Leckie Tuesday, May 16, 2017 3:27 PM
    Monday, May 8, 2017 6:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Larry,

>>I ran the.Net Framework Log Collection Tool and have the log files in a %temp% folder but dont know what to do with them.

Please ask for a requirement in Verify Your Account 38, then upload the file to Onedrive and share the link here. I will help you find the root cause according to the log file.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 9:16 AM
  • Thank you Lana. I'll upload the file. Is it just one file? Do you know what it is called? I have several *.cdf-ms files that were created yesterday and more than one has Net Framework something something in the name.

Larry

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 5:12 PM

4.5.2 is not installing correctly and a Tech wants to see the log files created from running the .Net Framework Log Collection Tool.

Instructions for the tool says "The log collection tool creates a compressed cabinet of all the Visual Studio, .NET Framework, and SQL Server setup logs and other supporting logs at %TEMP%\vslogs.cab. "

I've searched my whole PC for this file after running the tool(collect.exe) but have never been able to find this *.cab  file.

Is it called something else in Windows 8?

Friday, May 5, 2017 4:30 PM
  • Hi Larry,

Onedrive  is a tool that for you to upload files and share link here.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support

Monday, May 8, 2017 2:01 AM
  • Hi Larry,

.cab is the old one, currently, it is vslogs.zip file, please find this one under %temp% folder, upload it on Onedrive and share us the link here.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by Larry Leckie Tuesday, May 16, 2017 3:27 PM
    Monday, May 8, 2017 6:08 AM
  • Here is the log fikle link Lana

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Agal2D0-_gI5gSFKWxhyHeofvmPz

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 3:58 PM
  • Hi Larry,

I checked your log, but find no error log about installing .net framework 4.5.2.

>>There is no language pack for the English version of this product

Seems that you didn't choose the right Language version, please go to the download page and choose the corresponding version which matches your OS and perform a download:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=42642  

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, May 11, 2017 9:47 AM
  • What else can I try then? I just tried again to install from the offline installer again and it starts fine then just sits there forever with the progress bar not moving. How long does it typically take to install?
    • Edited by Larry Leckie Thursday, May 18, 2017 8:40 PM Added question
    Thursday, May 18, 2017 8:39 PM
  • Hi Larry,

Thank you for your update.

Usually it wouldn't take up long about the .Net Framework installation.

If the process is too long, I suggest you could take the steps below:

1. Clean up the %temp% folder

2. Check and ensure Windows update already up to the newest

3. Disable all the AV software and firewall.

4. Run the .Net Framework  installer as administrator.

If any problem still persists, you'd better use  http://aka.ms/vscollect to gather the installation logs. find vslogs.zip from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to Onedrive and share the link here. I will help you find the root cause according to the log file.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support

Friday, May 19, 2017 7:02 AM
  • Thank you for your help Lana. I'll try those things.

I let the installer run all night and got this message the morning:

"4.5.2.....was not installed because the function attempted to use a name that is reserved for use by another transaction."

Here is the link to the log file:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Agal2D0-_gI5gUNdA_Oo_zuQNyUc

Friday, May 19, 2017 2:39 PM