[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data Source Name not found and no default driver specified RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I am trying to connect to Oracle 9i database using below VB code:

strConnection = "Driver={Microsoft ODBC for Oracle};Server=SERVERNAME;Uid=USERID;Pwd=PASSWORD"        
    Connect = New ADODB.Connection 
    Connect.Open(strConnection)

The last line throws me below error:

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data Source Name not found and no default driver specified

The VB code is working fine and able to connect to dev database in dev server. The same script with UAT server name is not working in UAT server. 

Both the servers are of Windows server 2008 - 32 bit. 

When I checked the drivers tab in ODBC Data Source Administrator, dev server has below entry:

Microsoft ODBC For Oracle - 6.00.6001.18000 - Microsoft Corporation - MSORCL32.dll - Date

Whereas UAT server has below entry:

Microsoft ODBC For Oracle - 

The driver Microsoft ODBC for oracle is listed in the drivers tab of UAT server but does not have the version & dll file details. Is this driver not installed properly? If yes, how to re install it? Please help to resolve this issue ASAP.

Monday, February 8, 2016 3:46 AM

Answers

• Actually, this is Microsoft's driver not Oracle's so I'm not sure how much help you will get from Oracle. Did you create a System DSN for your database using the ODBC Data Source Administrator? If that doesn't help then I would suspect that something is misconfigured on your server. You may want to check the Windows Server 2008 features to see if the driver is installed.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Monday, February 8, 2016 2:50 PM

All replies

• The technologies you are using (oracle and ADODB) are not supported on this VB.net forum, here you may get answers if it was SQL and ADO.net for example.

You can try under one of the oracle forums:

https://community.oracle.com/welcome

or VB6 forums:

http://www.vbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?1-Visual-Basic-6-and-Earlier

and check the below detailed support article on the same error:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/306345

Fouad Roumieh

Monday, February 8, 2016 6:09 AM
  • Hi Fouad, 

Thank you for your quick reply. I will check in Oracle community.

Regards,

Tamil

Monday, February 8, 2016 6:48 AM
  • Actually, this is Microsoft's driver not Oracle's so I'm not sure how much help you will get from Oracle. Did you create a System DSN for your database using the ODBC Data Source Administrator? If that doesn't help then I would suspect that something is misconfigured on your server. You may want to check the Windows Server 2008 features to see if the driver is installed.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Monday, February 8, 2016 2:50 PM
  • Hi Paul, 

Thank you for your reply. 

Yes. The ODBC driver was not installed in the server. My Tech lead installed the driver & made some changes to the registry. This solved the problem. 

Thank you, 

Tamil

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 12:06 PM