Urgent, The connection name 'LocalSqlServer' was not found in the applications configuration or the connection string is empty RRS feed

• Question

• User-1687824065 posted

Hi,

I'm having a BIG problem, this is my 3rd day looking for answer !

I'm trying to create a custom membership provider with MS SQL database 2005 but not the default ASPNETDB.
    I've changed the web.config to be as following:

<connectionStrings>

<
    add name="sqlConn" connectionString="Data Source=.;Integrated Security=True;Initial Catalog=ASPNETDB;"
    providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

</
    connectionStrings>

<system.web>

<
    trace enabled="true" />
    <
    roleManager enabled="true" />
    <
    authentication mode="Forms" />

<membership defaultProvider="MySqlProvider">
    <
    providers>

<
    remove name="AspNetSqlProvider"/>
    <
    add name="MySqlProvider" connectionStringName="SqlConn"
    type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider" applicationName="/" />

</
    providers>
    </
    membership>

But when I try to login to the site using the login control the following error occurs:

Server Error in '/etest' Application.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: The connection name 'LocalSqlServer' was not found in the applications configuration or the connection string is empty.

Source Error:

Line 149:    <roleManager>
    Line 150:      <providers>
    Line 151:        <add name="AspNetSqlRoleProvider" connectionStringName="LocalSqlServer" applicationName="/" type="System.Web.Security.SqlRoleProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />
    Line 152:        <add name="AspNetWindowsTokenRoleProvider" applicationName="/" type="System.Web.Security.WindowsTokenRoleProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />
    Line 153:      </providers>

Source File: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config    Line: 151

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.213 <!-- [ConfigurationErrorsException]: The connection name 'LocalSqlServer' was not found in the applications configuration or the connection string is empty. (C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config line 151) at System.Web.Security.Roles.Initialize() at System.Web.Security.RoleManagerModule.OnLeave(Object source, EventArgs eventArgs) at System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) -->

It is clear that this is a prblem with my Machine.Config file - since I've "worked!" on this file for a while. But when I've checked the Machine.config file I've found the LocalSqlServer connection it is talking about! [:S] .

I'm lost and I dunno what to do, can anyone help?

Here is the mahine.config in case if you need it:

<connectionStrings>

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="data source=.;Integrated Security=SSPI;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspnetdb.mdf;User Instance=true" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

</connectionStrings>

<system.data>

<DbProviderFactories>

<add name="Odbc Data Provider" invariant="System.Data.Odbc" description=".Net Framework Data Provider for Odbc" type="System.Data.Odbc.OdbcFactory, System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" />

<add name="OleDb Data Provider" invariant="System.Data.OleDb" description=".Net Framework Data Provider for OleDb" type="System.Data.OleDb.OleDbFactory, System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" />

<add name="OracleClient Data Provider" invariant="System.Data.OracleClient" description=".Net Framework Data Provider for Oracle" type="System.Data.OracleClient.OracleClientFactory, System.Data.OracleClient, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" />

<add name="SqlClient Data Provider" invariant="System.Data.SqlClient" description=".Net Framework Data Provider for SqlServer" type="System.Data.SqlClient.SqlClientFactory, System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" />

<add name="SQL Server CE Data Provider" invariant="Microsoft.SqlServerCe.Client" description=".NET Framework Data Provider for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Mobile Edition" type="Microsoft.SqlServerCe.Client.SqlCeClientFactory, Microsoft.SqlServerCe.Client, Version=9.0.242.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91" />

</DbProviderFactories>

</system.data>

<system.web>

<processModel autoConfig="true" />

<httpHandlers />

<membership>

<providers>

<add name="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider" type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" connectionStringName="LocalSqlServer" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="true" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="true" applicationName="/" requiresUniqueEmail="false" passwordFormat="Hashed" maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="5" minRequiredPasswordLength="7" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="1" passwordAttemptWindow="10" passwordStrengthRegularExpression="" />

</providers>

</membership>

<profile>

<providers>

<add name="AspNetSqlProfileProvider" connectionStringName="LocalSqlServer" applicationName="/" type="System.Web.Profile.SqlProfileProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />

</providers>

</profile>

<roleManager>

<providers>

<add name="AspNetSqlRoleProvider" connectionStringName="LocalSqlServer" applicationName="/" type="System.Web.Security.SqlRoleProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />

<add name="AspNetWindowsTokenRoleProvider" applicationName="/" type="System.Web.Security.WindowsTokenRoleProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />

</providers>

</roleManager>

</system.web>

Thursday, September 27, 2007 4:24 AM

All replies

• User-1409984915 posted

Jocker, there are plenty of sources on the internet to help. Check out:

4GuysFromRolla.com

msdn.microsoft.com 

In fact the page I found from Microsoft, the latter of the two links above, gives you the answer your looking for. 

<roleManager enabled="true" />
    "This configuration enables role management and causes your application to use the default provider named AspNetSqlRoleProvider defined in the Machine.config file. This uses the local SQL Express instance.

To use a role store in SQL Server, add a connection string to point to your role database and add a role provider definition in the Web.config file, as shown here."

<configuration>
    <connectionStrings>
    <add name="SqlRoleManagerConnection"
    connectionString="Data Source=sqlinstance;
    Initial Catalog=aspnetdb;Integrated Security=SSPI;"
    >
    </add>
    </connectionStrings>
    </configuration>

<roleManager enabled="true" defaultProvider="SqlRoleManager">
    <providers>
    <add name="SqlRoleManager"
    type="System.Web.Security.SqlRoleProvider" connectionStringName="SqlRoleManagerConnection" applicationName="MyApplication" />
    </providers>
    </roleManager>
    Hope this helps or you've all ready found the solution. 
    Thursday, September 27, 2007 12:13 PM
  • User-1687824065 posted

k2schreck,

I've found the solution. Thanks for your reply!  [:)]

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 6:43 AM
  • User-2136304695 posted

Can you post the soultion please ?

Kered

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 7:15 AM
  • User1280313646 posted

Just add <clear/> tags in providers in Membership & Role like following....... (Problem Solved)...

<membership defaultProvider="wmiMemProvider">

<providers>

<clear/>

<add connectionStringName="wmiDbConnectionString" e..........................eb.Security.SqlMembershipProvider"/>

</providers>

</membership>

<roleManager enabled="true" cookieName=".wmiRoles" cookieTimeout="60"

defaultProvider="wmiRoleProvider">

<providers>

<clear/>

<add connectionStringName="w.....................dowsTokenRoleProvider" />

</providers>

</roleManager>

<membership defaultProvider="wmiMemProvider">
          <providers>
            <clear/>
            <add connectionStringName="wmiDbConnectionString" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="true" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="true" applicationName="wmi" requiresUniqueEmail="false" passwordFormat="Clear" maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="5" minRequiredPasswordLength="5" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0" passwordAttemptWindow="10" passwordStrengthRegularExpression="" name="wmiMemProvider" type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider"/>
          </providers>
        </membership>
        <roleManager enabled="true" cookieName=".wmiRoles" cookieTimeout="60"
       defaultProvider="wmiRoleProvider">
          <providers>
            <clear/>
            <add connectionStringName="wmiDbConnectionString" applicationName="wmi"
             name="wmiRoleProvider" type="System.Web.Security.SqlRoleProvider" />
            <add applicationName="wmi" name="wmiTokenRoleProvider" type="System.Web.Security.WindowsTokenRoleProvider" />
          </providers>
        </roleManager>

Friday, February 12, 2010 11:37 AM
  • User1863596672 posted

Also note that if you <clear/> your connection strings but don't <clear/> your Membership and Role providers, you will get the same error.  This took us awhile to figure out!

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:36 AM
  • User-1402127459 posted

Trying to accomplish the same thing..pulling what's left of my hair out..was going to try to get membership etc to work with SQLServer Express but ideally would like to create all : membership, provider, roles in Oracle. Did you just override within the web.config or modify at the machine.config

level? Can anyone help..the msdn help just ain't doin it...Thanks   

Friday, October 7, 2011 10:05 AM
  • User320966101 posted

Nothing to do just Simply Add  

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=YourServerName;Integrated Security=true;Initial Catalog=YourDataBaseName" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

this section in your webConfig file under <ConnectionString> Tag

Thursday, February 27, 2014 1:31 AM