VS 2012 Web Express and feature support RRS feed

• Question

• User-1457962578 posted

Hi,

Can you tell me if Visual Studio 2012 supports the followving featuers:

- Creating of SQL databases (tables, stored procudures, etc.) (later to be used for a Azure database)
    - Web API
    - SignalR
    - Components (the .cs files for classess and functions, normally compiled as .dll files)

My main objective is to develop middle tiers (not the visual look-and-feel of websites; receiving command from presentation layer, logical checks and retrieving or manipulating data).

Thanks!

Thursday, March 21, 2013 8:49 AM

Answers

• User281315223 posted

Absolutely.

Visual Studio 2012 is the latest release of Visual Studio and will support all of the latest and greatest that Microsoft Development has to offer.

Although you are referring to the Express edition, it will still support just about everything that you should need, however you may need to consider downloading SQL Server 2012 Express if you find that you'll need to do alot of work with databases.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:04 AM

All replies

• User281315223 posted

Absolutely.

Visual Studio 2012 is the latest release of Visual Studio and will support all of the latest and greatest that Microsoft Development has to offer.

Although you are referring to the Express edition, it will still support just about everything that you should need, however you may need to consider downloading SQL Server 2012 Express if you find that you'll need to do alot of work with databases.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:04 AM
  • User-1457962578 posted

SQL Express is a good tip, thank you.

And yes, I refer to the Express edition of Visual Studio 2012 and I'm not sure if it supports all these features. Especially the generation of components (working with .CS files).

Further comments are welcome!

Thursday, March 21, 2013 10:05 AM
  • User281315223 posted

There shouldn't be any issue with working with .cs files as these are basically class files which are a very commonly used item within Visual Studio (both in the Standard and Express editions).

You should have no problem using Visual Studio 2012 Express for everything that you previously mentioned, however you'll likely need to use SQL Server Express to handle extensive database work.

You'll notice that even the ASP.NET page on Web API walkthrough and ASP.NET SignalR walkthrough both use Visual Studio 2012 Express, so you really should have no problems. 

Thursday, March 21, 2013 10:09 AM
  • User1908258526 posted

The previous poster already said most of it, however I would like to warn for some of the limitations which come with SQL Server Express usage. Whether these will or won't become an issue is heavily depending on the project at hand, for a good overview of these limitations see this SQL version feature comparison. Obviously this isn't an issue when you're planning on deploying to Azure anyway. Speaking of which, you might want to pick up the Windows Azure SDK too, it provides solutions for both VS2012 and VS2010.

If you need a little more power out of your SQL engine but can't quite afford a commercial MS SQL server (now talking about a non-Azure solution) you could also consider using products such as PostgreSQL, though it can be a little harder to setup than MS SQL. I also wouldn't recommend this on an Azure based setup.

Finally; VS2012 is more than capable to handle this but I would most certainly try before you "buy". When I started with my current projects I picked up VS2012 and initially hated the interface with a passion; it actually managed to give me a severe headache (and I'm very serious here). The commercial (Professional and up) versions provide plug-ins, including a very welcome theme editor from Microsoft (back to the well known blue theme which you'll also see on VS2010), but to my knowledge the Express versions dont' support this (not sure mind you!).

So also keep in mind that if the VS2012 interface is giving you major issues you can always give up on 2012 and pick up a 2010 Express version; they are still supported and still available for download (see here). Both versions should be easily able to cope, as the previous poster already explained.

Hope this can help too.

Monday, March 25, 2013 5:50 AM
  • User-1457962578 posted

Thanks for your kind answer. I think I will give VS 2012 Express a try. If this can be used in combination with Azure Tools then that is a major plus.

If other are using Express in combination with Azure, please share your experience with me. What are the benefits? What are the costs?

Thanks!

Monday, March 25, 2013 7:29 AM
  • User281315223 posted

Yes, you can use Visual Studio 2012 Express Edition along with Azure as well (as mentioned in the Windows Azure Tools for Visual Studio page).

I personally can't vouch for using Express along with Azure, but I can tell you that it will indeed work. Perhaps some other users could provide some of the benefitis and cost details that you are looking for.

Monday, March 25, 2013 8:09 AM