none
Project Server 2010 Workflow - General Programming Questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I have a few questions regarding Microsoft Project Server 2010. Espacialy in creating workflows for it.

Is there any possibility to give the approver more than two options what to do with the project? I think about "approve, reject, return to initiator" or something else.
    Approve and reject would be processed as usual. Hower return to initiator would create a taks for the initiator with the subject to rework his proposal.

Is there any possibility to create a state-machine workflow for the project server? I have read there is no possibility to use the state-machine. But in some cases i need to go back to my previous project stage like in my first answer.

TIA
    Tomasz

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 3:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• Project Server workflows can be sequential only -- no state machine.

I suppose you could have nested IfElse branches that test the value of a custom field, which could act like more than two options. However, the "return to initiator" branch would have to duplicate the whole subsequent workflow, and to be practical, could do that only once.

If you haven't seen it already, take a look at the SampleProposal2 example in the SDK download. It's fairly complex (the source code is for the SampleProposal that is installed with Project Server).

--Jim

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 8:00 PM
  • You can have an approval process with multiple options(not just Approve and Reject). You'd have to create your own content type and page to know about these options(add more buttons in the ribbon and code behind). When a workflow task gets completed you'd check the value and if "return to initiator", you could complete the approval process and send it at the begining of the while loop.

For more info about the office task activity, you can post questions on the Sharepoint Customization forum: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointcustomization.

~Bia

Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    SharePoint - Design and Customization
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 4:15 AM
  • Hi Jim

I'm trying to install the SampleProposal2 workflow based on the source code from Microsoft SDK on a server with non-english language setting (danish). I'm not sure this is the problem, here it is:

The workflow creates approval tasks in the Project Server Approval list fine. But when I approve the task it dosn't get 100% completed. Status = Approved ('Godkendt' in danish), %Complete = "" and Result = "".

I have a pre-installed version of the workflow (in danish) running on the server and it works fine. When the task is approved, Status = Completed('Udført' in danish), %Complete = "100%" and Result = "Godkendt" (=Approved).

When I look at the preinstalled workflow I can see that the systemaccount has added a version of the task the sets the completion to 100% and status to Completed. The deployed SampleProposal2 hasen't got this last version (3.0) in the history:

3.0  09-07-2010 11:37    Systemkonto 
    Status  Udført  (=Completed)
    % færdig  100 % (=%Completion=100%)

2.0  09-07-2010 11:37    Lars Egelund 
    Status  Godkendt  (=Approved)

1.0  09-07-2010 11:36    Systemkonto
    Approval required for project ...

Do know of this problem?

Do you know if the source code for the workflow is available in other languages than uk (i.e. Danish)?

• Edited by Lars Egelund Friday, July 9, 2010 12:46 PM More info
    Friday, July 9, 2010 11:52 AM