none
Inconsistent FPS unless running Kinect Studio RRS feed

• Question

• I was using the Kinect v2 with a Dell Lattitude, but have now switched to a brand new Dell Alienware 13. The latitude worked perfectly, but now when running on a much more powerful Alienware I'm getting problems. When running the Depth Basics program, the Frames Per Second are not consistent. This is seen by pauses in the video display and a noted drop in FPS when running the Configuration Verifier. Interestingly, after opening Kinect Studio, the FPS are stable at 30 fps and there is no longer any pausing of the display. I'm wondering what the Kinect Studio does differently when opening the program (different access to the GPU maybe??). I would like to recreate whatever access Kinect Studio does for a WPF that I'm creating without having to open the Kinect Studio every time. I called both Microsoft Support (got passed around to several different support people) who directed me to Dell, who says they have no solution.   Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!

Thanks!

Thursday, May 17, 2018 6:37 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I think I had the same problem some weeks ago. Take a look at: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a953027e-af38-4b50-8257-c98fe555c632/body-tracking-application-stopped-working-it-freezes-every-2-seconds-in-windows-10?forum=kinectv2sdk

If my I made some changes in my software and now it is working fine. I am not sure if it is working fine because of these changes or because windows updated or whatever. If you find a logical conclusion, please let me know.

Friday, May 18, 2018 11:59 AM
  • mmeilabit,

Thanks for your reply and your thread. It sounds like I'm having the same problem that you had. I can see how polling the Kinect rather than waiting for an event to appear would force data from the connect, but not sure that's the best solution. I just wonder what is different programmatically about the Kinect Studio that it would force all different methods to work. Whatever code they used would be really helpful!!

Thanks,

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 9:32 PM