database mirroring sql 2008 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello everybody,

I have installed CTP 6 (Feb CTP) on virtual machine. I am trying to create principal and mirror instances. i have installed two named instances namely sql08demo and sql08mirror for the same. I have used the help from BOL in order to create back up and restore for the database for mirroring. After I specify the restore option in mirrored instance SSMS keeps on showing me Restoring state for the database.

If I still go further I am successful till the endpoint creation and later I get error as follows

the server network address can not be reached or does not exist. Check network address name and that ports for the local and remote endpoints are operations (Mirror SQL Server, Error: 1418)

can you help me, thanks.

G15

Saturday, April 12, 2008 7:30 AM

Answers

•  

The same topics are discussed in the SQL Server 2008 Books Online.  The fundamentals haven't changed significantly.

I'd start with the "Setting Up Database Mirroring" topic and go from there.

Are you having both endpoints on the same machine, or are they on separate machines?

If separate machines, can they resolve each other's addresses?  Can you ping them by name?

Monday, April 14, 2008 11:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN Smile

Try the link SQL 2005 Database Mirroring Tutorial, this might solve your problem.
    Sunday, April 13, 2008 2:39 AM
  • hi,

I do not want the answer for SQL 2005. I am trying this with Katmai

Sunday, April 13, 2008 4:41 PM
  • Moved to Katmai forum so that you get better response.

- Deepak

Monday, April 14, 2008 3:59 AM
  •  

The same topics are discussed in the SQL Server 2008 Books Online.  The fundamentals haven't changed significantly.

I'd start with the "Setting Up Database Mirroring" topic and go from there.

Are you having both endpoints on the same machine, or are they on separate machines?

If separate machines, can they resolve each other's addresses?  Can you ping them by name?

Monday, April 14, 2008 11:16 PM
  • Try using the servername in FQDN format or IP address!!
    Monday, April 21, 2008 2:15 AM
  • Many times Error 1418 is an erroneous error and it is associated with the way the database was created an initialized on the mirror server.  I wrote a note on this topic in my chapters on Database Mirroring.  Give this a shot!!! 

Use independent files when creating the database and transaction log backups. Do not append both of these backups to the same file; otherwise, an erroneous error such as Error 1418 may occur when setting up the database mirroring session. Error 1418 typically represents network connectivity or issues when resolving server names in a mirroring session.

Thanks

Ross Mistry

SQL Server 2008 Managmen & Administration

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 7:46 PM
  • Hi Ross,

I've been having sporadic trouble with sql 2005 database mirroring and had suspicion that the error 1418 was erroneous.  Your post confirmed my suspicion.

Originally I setup a non-prod mirrored database by backing up/restoring the database from a full backup, norecovery with replace option (because I wasn't as concerned about the tran logs).  I was able to successfully mirror several databases using this method.  However when I got to the 17th database (same principal and mirror as the other 16), I started getting 1418 errors.  After  3 calls to Microsoft premier support who couldn't help me, I found your post and decided I'd try again only I'd restore the logs too this time.   This worked!  Though I'm not really sure I understand why, I'm grateful to you for the post.

Colleen

DBA
    Friday, January 23, 2009 10:11 PM