The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

[UWP][Anniversary Update] Phone hangs when removing notifications from the Action Center history RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

after I've installed the Windows 10 Mobile Preview on my phone (Lumia 930, 10.0.14393.5) for the first time, I realized that my app Action Note is not launching at all even after reinstalling the app.

After some minuts of debugging, I was able to find the root cause of this issue: When I start my app, I'm clearing all existing ToastNotifications from the history using:

ToastNotificationManager.History.Clear();

At this point, the application hangs and the debugger does not reach the next line of code.

I also tried the following, but with the same result:

var toastHistory = ToastNotificationManager.History;
    var history = toastHistory.GetHistory();

foreach (var item in history)
    {
        toastHistory.Remove(item.Tag);
    }

As soon as the Remove(item) or Clear() method is called, the app hangs.

The snippets above are called in App.OnLaunched(LaunchActivatedEventArgs), hence at the startup of the app.

The app was working perfectly on Version 10.0.586.xxx, so it looks like an issue that was introduced in any Redstone build.

I would like to know:

• Is this a known issue?
    • Is there a workaround?

Thank you for your time!

Best regards from Munich,
    Benjamin

EDIT:

Everything is working fine on PC and Windows 10 Mobile Emulator (10.0.14393.0). But since both are compiled to x86, in contrast to ARM on a phone device, it could indicate that this is related to ARM only. Just a guess...

Thursday, August 4, 2016 8:33 AM

Answers

• Solved!

Performing a Hard Reset solved the issue.

I did not know that a hard reset was necessary after upgrading from 10.0.586.494 to 10.0.14393.5, since both is basically Windows 10 Mobile. I had issues after upgrading from Windows Phone 8.1 to Windows 10 Mobile as well (such as random app crashes, Start-screen could not be loaded somtimes, ...) which could be solved as well using a Hard Reset.

I'm not very satisfied that every "bigger" update requires Hard Reset. Not because I'm lazy to do so, but basically because a usual consumer probably never does such a reset. And in consequence, they always thing either the apps are having bugs, or that Windows 10 Mobile is still immature.

Wouldn't it be possible that such a Hard Reset is included in the update procedure? When giving a hint that all data should be backed up before the doing the Anniversary Update, there should be no problem I guess. At least there wouldn't be some devices (like mine) which do not work correctly after these updates. As another example, after I installed the Anniversary Update, I did not get any WhatsApp notifications anymore. All in all, it looks like my Action Center was just having issues after installing the Anniversary Update.

I'm looking forward to any comments :)

Thursday, August 4, 2016 9:04 AM

All replies

• Solved!

Performing a Hard Reset solved the issue.

I did not know that a hard reset was necessary after upgrading from 10.0.586.494 to 10.0.14393.5, since both is basically Windows 10 Mobile. I had issues after upgrading from Windows Phone 8.1 to Windows 10 Mobile as well (such as random app crashes, Start-screen could not be loaded somtimes, ...) which could be solved as well using a Hard Reset.

I'm not very satisfied that every "bigger" update requires Hard Reset. Not because I'm lazy to do so, but basically because a usual consumer probably never does such a reset. And in consequence, they always thing either the apps are having bugs, or that Windows 10 Mobile is still immature.

Wouldn't it be possible that such a Hard Reset is included in the update procedure? When giving a hint that all data should be backed up before the doing the Anniversary Update, there should be no problem I guess. At least there wouldn't be some devices (like mine) which do not work correctly after these updates. As another example, after I installed the Anniversary Update, I did not get any WhatsApp notifications anymore. All in all, it looks like my Action Center was just having issues after installing the Anniversary Update.

I'm looking forward to any comments :)

Thursday, August 4, 2016 9:04 AM
  • Hi Benjamin Sautermeister,
    Good Job, it is very kind of you to share the solution in here, it will help others who meet the same questions as you. 
    If you have any others question, welcome to post it in this forum.

Best Regards,
    Jayden Gu
    Thursday, August 11, 2016 12:50 PM